Backing up stuff question.... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Backing up stuff question....

I have have a new SATA hard drive that I want to use to backup all the files and media from my primary IDE drive...I dont use this SATA drive to boot my computer or anything, I dont have windows installed on it or anything...I bought it for backing up the stuff from my older primary drive.

Once I transfer all the files I have to my SATA, Can that SATA drive be taken out, and installed onto a different computer if needed later on as a backup drive, and be able to transfer the files onto the master drive of a computer? Or would you need to reformat the drive clean before installing it to another computer? Because to get "MY COMPUTER" to recognize my new SATA I had to go into disk management and have the drive formated 100%

Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Generally no, you do not have to format it again if it's already formated with either NTFS or FAT32, however you'll need a driver for Windows to recognize the SATA driver. I guess the steps would just be connecting it to the new machine, Windows will try to recognize it as a new hardware and ask for you to provide and install the driver.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

OK, I just want to make sure I wont run into a situation where the files on it wont be accessible, and I have to reformat and lose all the files I backed up onto this drive.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ntfs file system have drive/folder permissions so if youll connect it to another pc youll have to set em right in order to access the data , xp home doesnt support changing permissions only the pro edition does (but only after "use simple file sharing" is unchecked in folder options) then you have a *security* tab when you right click.. and goto properties , on the other hand theres a program called file security manager , for manging permissions on xp home , as for the driver it all depends on the mobo chipset, on modern chipsets theres no need for a driver (unless using sata raid) , but if the mobo chipset doesnt support sata compatability mode (emulates sata as ide so no driver is nessary) then installing the drive aint gonna be a *walk in the park* if that pc alredy have an sata hard drive then there wont be any issues as the driver has probably alredy been installed or the chipset supports the compatability mode , but if theres no other sata hard drive on that pc or windows wont detect the hard drive after youll connect it then youll have to make a repair install and then use the sata floppy driver (or use nlite to slipstream the driver if it got no floppy drive) , theres no data loss on a repair install it only replaces currupted/changed windows files , all other data will remain intact including the installed drivers/programs , you can make it easier by buying an sata to usb adapter , and if your gonna use it for casual backup better use backup software like good sync
Old 03-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

wow, thanks guys
Old 04-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yea these guys know there stuff
Old 04-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

You will be fine. I have used my 80GB SATA drive on about 9 differnt PC's and had no issues accessing/copying data from it to the primary hard drive installed on that system. Also I did not require any special drivers or setup anything special on any of these units running XP SP2. I simply plugged it in to an open SATA port and it detected as a new disk drive once the OS was booted got assigned a drive letter etc..then I was off copying data from it.

Also as mentioned only the first time when the drive is brand new will you ever have to initialize/format it. This is why by default when you plugged it in and booted up Windows it was not under "My Computer" as a new drive. Windows is pretty smart though right away when you clicked the Disk Management MMC it should have launched the "Initialize Disk Wizard" thus needing the format after.

Closed Thread