Backing up game saves

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoangels

Beta member
Hi, I'd like to format my HD and do a clean install of my 32 bit Vista OS. However, before I do, I'd like to 'save' or backup some of my apps, ie, games, so that I can import them back to my C drive once the clean install is done. Problem, my external HD is formatted in FAT32, so it won't store apps larger than 4 Gb. Any suggestions on how I can save my games and all their progress and then import them back after the clean install?

Moved post to its own thread to get proper attention.

Your only hope will be to burn the game saves to a DVD or DVDRW. Unless you want to convert your external to NTFS to support larger file sizes.

what type of games you are try to backup?
i am using to backup the GTA IV from my documents and after format the whole system, i again restore the files to my document.

Yep depends upon the game and where the save files are located.

Do a google search for the games in question. Back up the saves. When you reinstall the games on your new windows install restore the save files to the same location.

Please do not make multiple topics about the same issue. You had posted this in someone else's topic first and then i had moved it to its own topic for you. Just to see you use the same topic title that i gave it and same exact first post.

Moved post to its own thread to get proper attention.

Your only hope will be to burn the game saves to a DVD or DVDRW. Unless you want to convert your external to NTFS to support larger file sizes.

Ok, since I cannot format my external to NTFS, if I add another internal HD, formatted to NTFS, how would I backup the games? Would I merely 'copy' the exe file in Windows Explorer to the new drive and then 'recopy' it back to the newly formatted C Drive? Would that automatically include all the game saves?
Thanks

You just need to back up the game save files. They will be smaller than 4gb.

For the games you have to reinstall them as you cannot just copy the files and paste them into a new install. There are registry entries that need to be made.

Again just do a google search for "half life 2 (whatever game you are looking at) backup and restore game saves"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom