backing up files

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously though, something like symantec ghost would be your best bet. there are others that are similar out there. ghost is a GREAT utility, the only thing you have to be careful of is that if you try to install the same image on more than one machine you'll get SID (security identifier) errors. not an issue if you're using it on a local machine and not a domain though

right now i'm battling the war of financial strife, otherwise I would just do a straight copy from the old hard drive to the new.....can that be done? say i bout a 30 gig hd and installed it as a slave, copied everything from the old to the new, would it work if i then took out the old and made the new the master?

yes that can be done. I believe that maxtor drives still come with a disk that provides for low level copies of data between hard drives. I'm sure there is similar stuff out there. also, if you're using winXP they have a settings and whatnot backup thing. from what I heard it works pretty good......it may only be on pro though.........

i'm using western digital and win 2000. the backup utility wizard i think will allow it to copy to a second drive, just wasn't sure that a straight disk to disk copy would work. I'd hate to get a new disk, copy everything over (about 20gigs), the old drive take a dump then find out the new one with the copy doesn't work either

to test it, just unplug your current master, jumper the new one to master and test it. I would advise doing this no matter what to make sure it comes out correctly.

like i said, i have to buy one first, unfortunetly financially i have to take care of the bills (blah) first, got to keep this cable internet going for sure plus the cell phone. but at least i know a little more than i did for future reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom