backing up files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
I was thinking that I would be in piss poor shape if my hd took a crap or I got seriously infected. But I have about 20gb of stuff on my drive and don't really want to copy the whole shibang to disks.

If I use the backup files feature in windows disk property tools, what files should be an absolute to backup? Should I back them up on the same drive? will windows backup wizard put them on cd's? or should I do it from my cd burener program?

Personally, I would use a blank drive and the make a ghost image of your entire drive at it's current state. Making a backup to the same drive would be redundant and pointless if your drive crapped out.
This way if the worse did happen...you can at least pop in the new drive, set it to Primary Master and resume from where you left off.

-Mike

I agree with what mike said... if you back up to the same drive and it dies you are up the creek without a paddle! I personally have a backup HD and a quick cd writer and stacks of cds... better safe than sorry!

all i got is a 1.7 gig extra, guess i better hope this one don't crap out on me until i can afford one.

i want to get back to u about how to do the ghost image. not sure how to do that.

You have to install Symantec Ghost. It's a fairly easy process once you have the software.

-Mike

What's the cost of symantec ghost....ah heck, there I go not doing my googling first...srry. but thanks for the info.

had to laugh at that one placebo, thought you were just being a smart ass but...voila....backup data on the moon. nice. lol

what's funny and simultaneously sad is that, in the case of an asteroid hitting the earth, people would worry whether their data was backed up!!!!
i would worry if i'm alive. screw the data!!
(at the ned of the article, quote: "Laurie is most excited about servers storing data on the moon, though. "The moon is a pretty safe place to store your data," he says. "September 11 caused people to think about what data backup really means, and there is also always the threat of a natural disaster here on earth, such as a small asteroid hitting the planet."

do what I do....... adic scalar 1000, veritas netbackup 4.5 feature pack 6, 2 ait3 drives and about 250-300 tapes at 100 gigs each. It gets us through a day............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom