AVG & Windows Defender Optimising

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2oz7v

Baseband Member
I use AVG (Free) and Windows Defender on my system and am looking for ways to tweak them to use the least resources as possible.

On AVG, I have disabled the Email Scanner and Shell Extension. The last processes remaining are:

avgcc.exe : AVG Control Center
avgamsrv.exe : AVG Alert Manager
avgupsvc.exe : AVG Update Service

I have read a guide that says to disable "real-time protection", remove avgcc from startup, disable the alert manager and set the update service to manual. They then manually scan and update on a weekly basis.

I however want to keep the realtime protection and want it to scan/update automatically. I'm thinking avgcc.exe will be needed on startup for the scheduling of the auto update check and a test (I use both of these).

Can I set both the services to "Manual" so they are only started when they need to be? - I will be trying this within a day (when it's scheduled to update)

Next with Defender;

MsMpEng.exe : The realtime protection service?
MSASCui.exe : "Microsoft Anti-spyware Control User Interface"?

are both loading. Again I want the realtime protection, so I will leave the MsMpEng service to Auto. I'm guessing the MSASCui works in the same way as the AVG Control Centre, so would need to keep it for auto-updating and scheduled scanning?

I disabled all avg services except the updater, which I set to manual so it updates. Removed all startup entries in msconfig. Inside AVG itself I disabled realtime & email, but left the shell extension turned on.

I don't mind updating avg and scanning manually, and I don't want real time protection all the time since I'm pretty safe online and don't want it on when I game, however if I do download anything, I don't want to have to do a whole scan since I regularly scan with several scanners that come up clean, I just want to right click and scan the file with avg, hence I leave the shell extension on as its definitely worth the tiny tradeoff in ram usage.

Lastly I use autoruns AutoRuns for Windows v8.71 and untick other useless startup items and all avg entries except for the shell extension and avg 7.5 still works perfect and it further lowered my overall ram usage and xp feels extremely responsive even on my old machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom