Avast Vs. McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSM CEO

Banned
Ok, Mcafee came pre-installed on my PC

but ive just installed avast because its better ect...

im now doing a scan using both - and they have both been scanning for the same time

but avast has scanned 21000 Files
and Mcafee has scanned 316

So why is Mcafee so much slower? - is it because its crap, or because its just slow?

an explinations would be great, thanks

having two anti virus scanners is a bad idea. the two scanners will conflict with each other... thats why mcafee seems slower. i would stick with avast it updates itself more often.

yes, i only have one now, i just scanned with both as i was changing over from 1 to the other

i have avast now so that should be ok

Avast does a live scan. Which means it scans all files all the time. It constantly scans all your files even hiden ones for Viri. McAfee only scans certain ones and looks for viri that are on it defination list.

So while Avast scans all files that you download, emails you send and everything else. McAfee just checks the registry and a few other places for changes.

In my experience Avast has done more good than anything. McAfee is nothing but trouble. I have seen more people with viri because of McAfee. It is just a slow scanner and it doesnt fully scan your system till it is forced to. Even that takes hours to accomplish.

I also though id add....

before i uninstalled McAfee i had 75 processes

AFTer - only 50

My PC is running A LOT Smoother now as well

That has been my experience as well. That is why i try to tell people to switch off of Norton and McAfee. They do slow you down. Plus Avast! is fully Vista compliant. It doesnt need Kernel access like Norton and McAfee want to protect the OS. Which is good as well.

GSM CEO said:
is Prevex1 any good?
I dont know never heard of it till now. I will try it out soon and give you a small review of it.

GSM CEO said:
avast is supposed to be the best you can get...
This is a personal thing. Some swear by AVG while others, myself included, say Avast is better. Search around for product test results and you will see that sometimes AVG comes out and sometimes it is avast.

http://www.virusbtn.com/index

That site can give you the low down on all AV Apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom