Autopatcher Updater is back !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft killed the Autopatcher project some months ago which was a shock to everyone who used their monthly Windows Update collections to update their computer(s) which had several benefits such as downloading the updates only once and not connecting to a Microsoft server at all.
The Autopatcher team was busy and have releases an early beta of a software they call Autopatcher Updater. The process of obtaining the updates has been changed. The Autopatcher Updater lists the latest updates for the operating system and Microsoft Office and downloads the files from Microsoft and Autopatcher afterwards.
This is a early beta version and there is not much information yet on the process but it looks like that Autopatcher Updater is contacting the Autopatcher domain requesting a file and this information is then used to connect to Microsoft Download and download the update in question.

When the updates are downloaded you need to run autopatcher.exe which will then give you the option to install some or any of the updates that have been downloaded.
Since this is a beta some problems emerge every now and then in particular a Runtime Error bug for some users which will probably resolved in the next release.
Nevertheless I'm glad that the team is back and it will be only a matter of time until they add more comfort and options to the updating process.

That's great news. I was very ****ed when I went to their homepage right after M$ told them off. After reading the "day after" or whatever post the author put up, though, it was obvious they'd come up with some work around. I'm glad they did, because autopatcher was definitely a very important tool. And I can imagine even more so for a network administrator or someone of that sort.

This is good news. Glad to see it making a comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom