Automatic Updates Failing To Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I had exactly the same problem, and resolved it in the same way. Couldn't install Windows Live Messenger either.

I had a similiar issue afer installing SP3, about 10 updates would fail. This was due to not installing IE7. Once it was installed, the updates were applied correctly, one that I remember was killbits I beleive.

Hey Osiris, are you saying that you need to have IE7 installed for some/all the newer updates to install correctly? Because a little over a day ago I installed two XP updates and after the install I couldn't do anything related to the internet, even though my computer recognized my connection. I couldn't figure out why this was happening until about five minutes ago I decided to remov the updates and after a restart everything went back to normal. I don't have IE7 installed.

Hello,

With SP3 either you install IE7 before or not at all. That is a known glitch in SP3. But truthfully it isnt cause IE7 is a critical update that should be installed before SP3 anyways.

To resolve the update issue you have to re-register some Registry keys.

Irish posted the link.

Cheers,
Mak

From what i know after you install SP3 installing IE7 will fail everytime you try. I might be mistaken and it could be IE8 Betas that are failing. But i am almost positive that if you install SP3 before you isntall IE7 you will have to uninstall SP3 to install IE7.

I will double check on this.

Cheers,
Mak

I've done checked that out. Installing IE7 before SP3 means your stuck with IE7 and no reverting back (without some sort of hack), but if you install it after SP3, works great. SP3 downloads before IE7 does, at least on my machines.;)

Well you can download SP3 before the updates. I know i had that option as well on my machine when i just did my reinstall this week. But i choose to install the other updates first. Which is why IE7 was already on. I have not installed IE8 yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom