automatic printer install - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default automatic printer install

I have 40 machines with Windows XP Pro. I am wanting to automate a printer install on them. The printer Im installing is a Samsung CLP-550 with a static IP of I googled batch files to automate installs. Came up with everything I need, but a couple of commands are giving me fits.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry

I checked the Microsoft knowledge base, and they say to use these two lines.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /c\\server /m "AGFA-AccuSet v52.3" /h "Intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Test Printer" /c\\SERVER /f "%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /r "lpt1:" /m "AGFA-AccuSet v52.3"

Here's what I typed followed by the errors I received.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Samsung CLP-550" /h "Intel" /v "Windows XP" /f h:\CLP-550\CLP-550\PRINTER\GDI\WINX\mlcb2.inf

error:Cannot complete operation. Windows cannot find a suitable driver

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "PrinterName" /f "H:\CLP-550\CLP-550\PRINTER\GDI\WINXP\mlcb2.inf" /r "IP_192.168.3.240" /m "Samsung CLP-550"

error: same as above.

I can add just the driver via the GUI, no problem. I can install the whole printer via the GUI, no problem. I can create the port via both the GUI and the command line, no problem. My problem seems to be coming with these two commands. The H: is a network volume. I did try putting the folder with the .inf files on the local workstation, adjusting the path in the commands, but the same error pops up. The microsoft Knowledgebase doesn't help much. I was wondering if you guys could look it over and see if Im mistyping something. Im assuming the first command registers the driver, and the second actually creates the printer Object. I checked the online documentation (rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?) but it didn't make too much sense to me. None of the examples provided helped either.

Thanks in advance
The greatest measure of a nation is not it\'s army or economy, but by how many people are trying to get in, and how many people are staying!!
Guns, Guts, and Alcohol made America free.
Born American, Die American
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Closed Thread