Automatic Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
I've been thinking it would be cool to have my PC boot from a set time and then run sceduled scans when I am at school/work. I can set up scheduled scans but can anyone tell me if it is possible to set your actuall PC to turn is self on each day on a specific hour? If so how?

I've never seen something with a boot timer, but I know they have to exist. You may have to get into making one yourself. Do some experimenting, see what you can come up with. I just ordered something so I can turn on my computer with a remote control, I'm sure something like that would be a good starting point. You could then get some sort of digital timer, and hook a momentary digital switch up to it, so whn the timer goes off, it hits the switch for a second and starts up the computer. Shutting it down is another story. I'm pretty sure they have programs to shut down the comptuer at a given time.

with Tweak XP 4 theres a shortcut to make ur computer shutdown that you can put on ur desktop, you could have scheduled tasks run that at a certain time.

As far as turn on i dont think so. If you leave you system in stand by that would do the trick but as far as having it cold boot to run the scans then shut down again i dont think so.

Thats interesting but I can turn it off before I go to sleep I want it to turn on in the morning by itself when I get ready for school and work. Then when I am at school and work it would run scheduled scans and be ready for use when I get home. Maybe I will have to wait for the next OS for that I guess.

its possible. They make devices that are used to turn lamps and stuff on and off automatically. They are like small little clocks with a plug built in. http://www.rewci.com/inaptimfresh.html
I am sure you can use this with a computer as well. If you short out the on/off button connectors on the mobo (with a spare jumper or some foil why not) and you set the timer right, when the computer is plugged in, it will automatically turn on. The timer manages the power to the computer so it will "plug it in" at the time you set.

That being said, I am not sure how the computer and Bill's little brain child will react to the on/off button being held down non stop. I am not sure if it will boot, and shut down infinately, but i think that it waits for the switch to be released before taking another input from it.

If my theory is correct, if you short the on-off button connectors on the motherboard with eachother, (imitating a push and hold of the button), and you set the timer and plug the computer into the timer, when the time hits, power will flow into the computer and you can have a program shut the computer down when its done.

note, programs that restart the computer may affect the entire operation, so those wuold not work.

Close, very close. It is in the computer, not bills little brain, but a computer switch (the new ones anyway) are completely momentary. Try to place a jumper on the two pins on the mobo where the power button pushes in, the computer wont boot. It has to be shorter, and imediately released. Like I said, which is very close to what you said, you could wire in a little momentary switch and than use it with the lamp timer, like b8ss said.

i don't know of any automatic things but my brother once set up his pc so that when you called a number the pc would turn on and im guessing you could use that

my bios lets me auto on.. so take a look in there.

If not then a timer device that operates a realy would be cool.. could bridge that over you power switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom