Auto Restart - WinXP Prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekno_ct

Baseband Member
Hi Guys, need a bit of help

My computer restarts erratically now by itself - usually in 10+ min. after startup.
I'm running WinXP Pro, and I have the latest SP2

Motherboard: ASUS P4P8X
Harddrive: Western Digital 80 gb
CPU: P4 2.4 GHz

I wasn't sure if this is an OS problem or a hard ware problem - I recently formatted the harddrive because the S.M.A.R.T. system informed me of a "BAD" Condition upon startup. But now its status is "Capable and OK".

Thanks in advance.

As a side note:

My computer doesn't shut down or restart properly (that's a diff. problem that i don't mind having)- when I shut down or restart the computer, I have to hold down the power button to turn it off.

When I Shut Down my computer: 1st Press Power (to turn off comp.) - 2nd Press Power (but nothing displays on monitor but my fans are spinning - it doesn't start up) - 3rd Press Power (to turn Off) - 4th Press (now it turns on properly)

When I Restart my comp: 1st Pressing Power (Shuts down) - 2nd Press Power (Turns on)

Ah sorry if this complicates things.

On average, when I'm using my computer it doesn't restart, when I leave it on and I'm not doing anything on it, it does.

Ahh yes the power button. I have to hold it in too. There is no restart button, don't know why they don't put it there. Maybe a faulsty psu? I dunno, do you have sort of a switch in the back of ur pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom