Attempting a VHD

PopoChubbs

Casually Filthy
Hi guys! I'm in the process of studying for my MCSA in Installation and Configuration of Windows 10, and one of the processes my book explores is how to create and configure a VHD, or Virtual Hard Disk. It lists, step by step, how to get one going, but despite following these steps, I get an error message. Here's what the book says:

Destination: C:\VHD\Windows10vhd.vhdx
Virtual Hard Disk Size: 40GB
Virtual Hard Disk Format: VHD
Virtual Hard Disk Type: Fixed Size

When I try to enter this information, I get the following error message:
"The file extension (.vhdx) is not valid for the selected disk format (VHD)"

So, my thinking was that because there are two different types of VHD Types (Fixed and Dynamically Expanding), I've got the wrong destination file path for the format I'm using. However, if I try to create the VHD without that specific file path, I get another error that says "The system cannot find the path specified".

I know that it's kind of a sensitive process, but I'm following this book word-for-word and am unable to make this work. Any suggestions from you guys out there?

Thanks in advance!

I googled this?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...oot--add-a-virtual-hard-disk-to-the-boot-menu
Step 1: Create a VHDX from diskpart

On the technician PC:

From the Command Prompt, open Diskpart.

diskpart

Create and prepare a new VHDX. In this example, we create a 25 GB fixed-type VHDX.

create vdisk file=C:\windows.vhdx maximum=25600 type=fixed

Attach the VHDX. This adds the VHDX as a disk to the storage controller on the host.

attach vdisk

Create a partition for the Windows files, format it, and assign it a drive letter. This drive letter will appear in File Explorer.

create partition primary
format quick label=vhdx
assign letter=v

Exit Diskpart

exit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom