Assigning Drive Letters!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

(V)UZAQ(V)AN

Baseband Member
Ok, I deleted win 98 and put in 2000.

The problem I had was that I accidently partitioned the main drive (which should be C:) into 2 partitions.

1 partition is 2 gig the other 10 gig. the 2 gig is showing as the C: drive and the 10 is showing as the G:. I also have another HD which is D: but not in question at this point.

The G: drive is the drive containing the OS and the C: has nothing. I tried changing the drive letters from C to G and G to C but it tells me that it can not change a boot volume. The G: drive is listed as the Logical.

Can someone help me out here or should I just leave the G as the primary???

Thanks!

(V)uzaq(V)an

The G: drive is listed as the Logical.

Can someone help me out here or should I just leave the G as the primary???

Is G: logical or primary?

This can be dangerous. U can delete the C, move G to the beginning of the drive or merge C and G... very dangerous though.. it can screw your system and make it unable to boot. I would suggest a re-install (re-partition first)

Does windows boot?

the major is right

partition magic might be able to fix it. i think you need to reformat

Ok, I reformatted the drive and ran into another issue..lol (figures)When I boot up, right before the Windows 2000 start up screen it says "Please select an OS to start and I have a listing of (2) Window 2000 OS's. Regardless of which one I hit or just wait the 30 seconds it boots up without a hitch.
My question is....

1) Why do I have it showing (2) Windows 2000 OS's

2) And why does this screen pop up at all??????

Any suggestions to eleviate this problem will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Did you re-install 2K?

something with you boot.ini file. post your boot.ini file.
start/run type "boot.ini"

not sure this works in 2k

Oh man, you didn't have to format! Well, for future reference its just a little registry editing that needs to be done. Warning, though, any programs installed AFTER the system disk became the G: drive may need reinstalling because it will be looking to the G: drive and not the C:. Anyhow, to change the system disk, do the following...

1. Run regedit and goto the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

2. Change your \DosDevices\C: listed in there to something like \DosDevices\X: (or anyother non existant drive).

3. Now change the \DosDevices\G: to say \DosDevices\C: (reason we changed the original to X: or whatnot is so there was no duplicate drive letter, get it :) ...)

4. Finally all you have to do is change the \DosDevices\X: (or whatever you renamed the original to) to be \DosDevices\G: or whatever drive letter you want it to be and that is free to use.

Thats it, just exit the registry and restart (it wont show correctly until a restart).

Also, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR!!! Backup you registry before doing this and DONT touch anything else listed else you may have worse problems to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom