Apps Broken following reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Specifically, Microsoft Windows Mediaplayer 10, and Trillian.

What happened:
My HD crashed and burned earlier this week, and the system failed to boot. The windows partition had bad sectors.
I managed to get the Mandriva partition to boot, however, and from there I mounted the windows partition and copied the docs&Settings folder, as well as specific Program Files folders and other folders I needed to an external drive.

Today I spent ~6 hours reinstalling windows and about half the apps that I needed on a new HD.

When I finished installing Windows mediaplayer, I copied the library files from the saved folder on the external drive to the new install folder. They didn't load. In fact, the entire 'Library' tab in Windows mediaplayer is non-operational. You can click on it, but it doesn't take you to the library menus. I tried copying over the other program components and application data files from the saved copy, but that didn't do anything to fix it either. Maybe I'm missing a file?

So firstly, I need to get Mediaplayer working and my old libraries loaded... if anyone knows what's up or how I can fix it, please share.

The other program that I'm having trouble with is Trillian. I reinstalled it and copied the application data folder over from the backup in order to preserve my contact info and histories. That worked. The trouble is, that Trillian will not SAVE any new data. Every time I exit and reload trillian, it reverts to the state it was in the first time I opened it. The away status, convo logs, incorrect yahoo password - all the same as before. SO I need to fix my password every time I start trillian, and naturally, I can't record any new logs.

So secondly, of course, I need to get Trillian fixed...

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I just reinstalled windows for a third time, and am going to try this from the top. If anyone knows a way I can import the old .wmdb file into mediaplayer 9 or 10 safely, please let me know.

Resolved: Bumping now so it won't be bumped later.

The issue was with a read-only property that was applied to the rescued files. Removing read-only resolved both issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom