aol and windows dialers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lsasqwach
Default aol and windows dialers

ive always disliked aol, and ive tried this before, but with little or no research, so i was wondering if anybody knew of a way that i could use the dialer that comes with windows so i could connect to aol and bypass all that annoying crap in the gui?

thanks,

chris

Old 08-24-2003, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

you can try dial up networking if youre on win95/98, but you should get onother isp and say by to aohell

Old 08-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

naw, i cant do either of those, i have win2k pro, and my mom pays for it, im only 17
Old 08-25-2003, 03:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

man i used to have AOL, it sucks. we used to pay the same for AOL as we do for cable now
Old 08-25-2003, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to tavilach

I had dial-up forever, because broadband wasn't available. When I was a computer newbie I used AOL, but of course I switched after visiting all the informative AOL hate sites (they say a lot about AOL, hehe)...so then I moved to Earthlink. Earthlink dial-up is awesome (for dial-up) of course.

The funny thing is, because my parents were already paying $100/month for Adelphia digital cable (hehe, every damn channel available, it's amazing), and because of certain promotional offers (I was able to actually purchase the modem for a one-time fee of $1, as opposed to paying $3/month for it), we were able to add Powerlink (Adelphia cable internet) to your bill for only $19.95 more!

Enough rambling about how I'm getting cable for $4/month cheaper than you're getting AOL dial-up...lol...

Back to the topic. I know with Earthlink you just enter the dial-up phone numbers into the Windows dialer...but I'm assuming AOL does something to block that, or else you wouldn't be posting...so...eh...don't know what to say .
Old 08-25-2003, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i think aol did block it so people cant do it. i wonder if anybody ever tried to get around that...... i cant program good enough to even come close to that, so i was betting on someone else, but i guess not, well, thanks
Old 08-25-2003, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to tavilach

Give it time, there's bound to be someone on this board who can help you...I think...

Edit: I just did some research, and there seems to be no way to bypass it. But you never know what the nerds on this forum might come up with (hehe, that's not an insult...nerd power!)...
Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

k, i will wait. thanks for the info, bye

Closed Thread