AOL Website Access (IE Problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muskaman

Beta member
Hey, I guess I'm new here and I hope you lot can help me out a bit.

My problem involves a friends computer which, after I had worked on for hours (removing viruses, spyware, etc), refused to access many links on the AOL website. The most important is the inability to access/sign in to AOL email. While it says the usual "done" at the bottom of the window, the page is blank.

All other websites appear to work fine. I did install the ZoneAlarm firewall but I told my friend to disable it and it did not fix the problem. Could this software be preventing AOL email access, and if so, how can I be sure of it.

Any help is much appreciated.

*BUMP*

I should explain more clearly. This person has dropped their AOL internet but has kept their email, which they access through internet explorer at AOL's site. The IE version is either 5.5 or 6.0.

He does not have any AOL software installed on his computer. Until I worked on the computer removing viruses and installing Zonealarm there were no problems accessing the AOL email account.

Also, he is using Roadrunner ISP and can access AOL's web based email through other computers in his house.

This is the truth, brought to you by Emily. Rid yourself of the demon that is AOL, and find another email. I had (Notice the past-tense) AOL and always had problems with web pages. Randomly it will not work and not cruise to a different website, and I would just go to IE. In order to fix aol, the easiest route I found was to just re-install it. AOL sucks, and free yourself from the conglomorate!

Him said:
This is the truth, brought to you by Emily. Rid yourself of the demon that is AOL, and find another email. I had (Notice the past-tense) AOL and always had problems with web pages. Randomly it will not work and not cruise to a different website, and I would just go to IE. In order to fix aol, the easiest route I found was to just re-install it. AOL sucks, and free yourself from the conglomorate!

Well-said. If you insist on using AOL, at least rip them off in the process. Save all the free trial CDs you get in the mail, and use it for as long as possible. Then call to cancel, and chances are they'll offer you another free trial.

I know someone who has been using AOL free with this method for about 2 years. Never paid a cent. :)

I used it for 18 months that way. Then I just got so fed up with AOL I cancelled it altogether.

I tried to make it clear. This person DOES NOT use AOL internet. They became fed up like you guys and switched to Road Runner. They kept their aol email address and access it from internet explorer, just as if you were using hotmail.

Thanks for the help though.

Yes, we know, but the point was that all of AOL, even the email, sucks. Hence the suggestion of getting rid of it entirely.

But all that aside, has this person tried it from a different browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom