aol....omg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you running XP or ME, if so have you tried a "system restore"? Perhaps that would get you back to a decent enough environment to try the install again.

I'm running ME...

But the thing is....

This problem came up in november... and it's just been like this until now when im trying to fix it.

Damn... seems that the universe is working against me : P

vaderpro said:
Back-up, format, reinstall. Get rid of AOL.

that's what i would do.

i think windowsMe is a peice of crap anyhow. i would go get a copy of win98 and you can get that for dirt cheap.

i would call aol and tell them they suck!!! and there software sucks!!!!

:D

that is a long time to be paying for service that doesn't work.

if you bit_ch enough you might get out of the contract.

don't know what else to tell you aol just sucks ass:mad:

Yeah I give up now.
I don't even know why someone in britain would decide to go with a company called america online.

I'm just gonna call them up and ***** at them until they cancel it, then go with another provider.

Thanks for your help guys!

-Callum

and if possible, try to get older versions of AOL (8.0 and below) because the new 9.0 wannabe security bullsh*t that their doing is a real system hog. IMO 8.0 is the best version that AOL made, it wasn't a real system hog like 9.0SE and it has all the same features.

Yo, i live in scotland :D

Btw, our internet sucks BAWS.

we get a 1mb connection for about 60 us dollars, in finland, sweden for this money you have a 10 mb connection.

oh jesus just go to run then do regedit then search for aol delete all keys regardless of warnings ---- then reinstall it

if its a possible hardware conflict, just go into safe mode, and into device manager and under system look for 'PCI Bus' and delete it. Restart and it should come up finding ALL of your hardware all over again, so if there is a conflict that will almost ALWAYS resolve it. Make sure you know where the drivers are at, usually in windows; windows\system (or system32) or in the inf folder. Another thing to do is above suggestion of finding all aol entries and delete them. If it happens on startup, then go and look at these following keys (these run programs / setup continuations at startup). If you dont know what it is, LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Other wise you may have a format on your hands, and as always backup the registry before messing with it. Here are the areas to check:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunServices
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunServicesOnce
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunOnce\Setup

You can also try going into dos (F8 then dos safe mode) and then type in the following:

scanreg /restore <enter>

and choose a date. This doesn't always work, and make sure to unplug the modem before doing this. This will hopefully default to what the registry looked like at the date you picked. Worse case scenario, guess you could set it up as it was on first boot up. You have to attrib the config.1st and user.1st so its no longer hidden, archived, protected, etc. Just use the -r -a -s -h attribs, then rename them to config.sys and user.dat (rename the original to config.old and user.old). Other than that, guess you could deltree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom