AOL installation on new comp, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therock

In Runtime
Hi. I finally got my new system put together last night and I tried to install internet on it. I installed AOL(ya dont tell me how bad it is) and thats where my problem started. I installed XP Pro with SP 2 on it and when i connected my DSL modem to my comp via USB nothing like "new hardware detected' came up I thought its nothing special, so I went on to logg in to aol and I do "detect modem" and it doesn't see it. I called AOL and they gone through many different steps with me and nothing worked. According to them its a "hardware problem." My mouse and keyboard are connected via USB as well, and they seem to work fine.

So far I used the modem on my old comp with Win XP Pro(w/o SP) and I'm thinking its the new security additions that might be blocking my aol connection (like firewall, which i turned off btw). Does anyone know what can cause this?

Here are my specs:
DFI LanParty nF4
amd athlon 3700+
eVga 7800gt
1GB of OCZ Extreme Series RAM

I'd really appreciate any help, any suggestions that you guys might have.

if that gave you a disk with your modem try installing the usb drivers from that. Windows xp might not come with the right modem drivers, whats the modem modle?

on a side note if your machine comes with network card why not switch to a network cable over usb?

Can I download those drivers from a site? or they should be on the CD with mobo?

Thx for reply.

ditch aol. they are notorious for jacking up your high speed setting, so that you will quit high speed and go to their dial up.

you can try having aol use IE connection setting. AOHell does have a broadband option instead of modem, but I don't use the ****** software, so I don't know where it is (I have enable it on other people's computers)

I plan on switching to something else, like earthlink. In the meantime, I need this bad. So, does anyone know when i can get those USB drivers?

Therock said:
I plan on switching to something else, like earthlink. In the meantime, I need this bad. So, does anyone know when i can get those USB drivers?

motorola's website. they should be enable allready though. it's a pain in the butt to configure usb internet

Problem solved. I installed new drivers from DFI board CD and it didnt help. I called AOL again and this guy told me to go to control pannel and then go to System --> Hardware, and as it turned out, my comp wasn't detecting my DSL mdoem. I just had to right click it and update it and now it works fine. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom