anyone else have these annoying icons - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default anyone else have these annoying icons

I downloaded a few sharing programs like kazaa and emule, and as usual there are some extra advertising icons that add to the desktop. But this time, these icons are special ,to say the least. I mean they just can't be moved, when I press delete, nothing happens, when I right click, still nothing. I cant move them and I cant delete them. WTF? Its 7 icons, most of them for gambling, like when you double click, it sends to gambling links. But thats it, they stay like bricks, you cant do anything with them. How can I remove them? I scanned with my antivirus, deleted everything suspicious, but those just stay here. Anyone else have these???

Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i don't have them, but i did. try Add/Remove programs. i think that's what did it for me. If not, try this program called PestPatrol. it scans your entire system and deletes any "pests" usually viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, addware and general stuff that will harm the computer. It should get rid of things like that.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

or try find your desktop folder in safe mode and delete them.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

don't use kazaa or emule for downloads. you are lucky you haven't got a virus
Old 12-31-2004, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Oh no! I just got icons that do that. Not from Kazaa though...i tried deleting them in safe mode but they arent n e where. a search couldnt find them and you cant touch them like marcoax said. cant right mouse click, can move them cant delete. I looked in all the desktop folders as well as the search and they dont appear so they dont even seem to be a file. I tried Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search & Destroy and they didnt get rid of it. I'll try HyjackThis but if they arent files anywhere but on the desktop how can they be found?

Old 12-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea willsko, i tried all that too, plus pest patrol, and theyre still there. I think they arent that common, so maybe ppl havent really found a solution yet?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Did u check add/remove programs?

Can u post a screenshot?
Old 12-31-2004, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve M

Right click them and check the paths. It is definately spy/adware although you dont need me to tell you that.

POst the paths here.

I am here to give help to those who politely ask for it. I can appreciate your do it yourself mentality and your quest for knowledge.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

When I right click, nothing happens. And yea, I checked the add/remove programs, nothing unusual.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

delete them as admin in safemode

Closed Thread