Anyone that can answer some remote fax/email questions please? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Smile Anyone that can answer some remote fax/email questions please?

First time poster so apologies if this in in the wrong forum, but it seemed the most general.

I work from home and live in the UK and will be working a month abroad soon, can anybody please help with the following;

1/ I use microsoft fax console to receive faxes, i plan to leave my PC on when i am away. Is there anyway i can view the faxes i will receive using my laptop in another country? I cant change my fax number i am using.

2/ If i leave Outlook running can i read/send emails remotely. I have set up a wireless home network and also have a copy of Outlook on my laptop, but it is configured wirelessly not direct internet connection.

Both PC and Laptop run Windows XP Home and both have wireless built in.

Basically, i would like to remotely access my faxes and email when i am away.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as i am leaving in 10 days.

Thanks.
Rob

Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

For remote access you can use free software called VNC Viewer. All you need to do is have the server running and know your IP address to the pc you want to connect to and you can do anything to it just like you were sitting there. Now there will be some lag time because it is remote so you got to be patient. And depending on how you connect when you are remote afftects this too. I'm not sure about the FAX side of your question. Can you normally see the fax in your email?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

wow thanks for the quick reply.

I will check it out now.

I have a seperate phone line that connects to my PC for the faxes, its nothing to do with email.

Thanks
Rob
Old 11-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I'm not about this but there might be a way for you to setup the fax machine to email you the fax so you can read it unless you are not worried about it.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

thats a great program, just what i needed
just got to congigure all the firewalls now

Thanks
Rob
Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

set your default printer to adobe pdf for receiving faxes. now when you receive your fax it should be a pdf file on your hard drive. you should be able to remote access it now

Closed Thread