Any way to put a memory cap on java.exe *32?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum, not sure where to put a possible windows and java problem.

I was asking this to try help my cousin a while ago but re-installing java didn't work.

Basically my little cousin plays a free online game called runescape. It uses java in the browser. However there's a problem, looks like amemory leak. Now I've looked around and no one else seems to have this issue so it must be his PC. This isn't major as he doesn't visit my house that often but when he does he gets a black screen in the middle of what he's doing.

Basically as he plays the game I noticed the memory usage of java.exe x32 gets larger and larger. I told him to tell me what it says at his home PC on task manager, he says it's usually says at the 100-200mb range all the time. Now here on my PC it's like that for a little while then it spikes, I was watching and you can literally see memory usage by java.exe going up my 2mb a second until it reaches a little over 1.5GB and blackscreens.

I have Vista but I doubt it's just that as like I said I tried looking around and no one else seems to get this. I want to sort it out because if it's a problem with my java then it's going to effect any future programs I personally use.

I was thinking if there's a way to stop java taking more then say 500mb it might help?

One weird thing is when I go on java.exe*32 it says:

Created: 18th December 2008, 22:06:53

Modified: 25th July 2009, 05:23:05

Accessed 25th July 2073, 05:22:56

What's going on here? Does it have something to do with it?

Any help would be great guys. I have an instance of the game's main page up now, not actually logged in but just far enough to load up java on the site, I can see it going up slowly, not 2mb a sec now but the speed at which it eats memory goes up and up. It started at 91mb, it's now on 174mb and growing.

that seems abnormal i occasionally play runescape and it does not get any higher than 200-300MB. try the guide posted here Sun Java Plugin - How to Increase the Java Applet Memory Limit

and also what is your cousin's account name and combat level? i am just wondering...
arrgh curse my memory..I'll have to ask I can't remember exactly it's like his name with a ton of numbers.:p

I'd assume his combat thing is quite low, he didn't start THAT long ago. I remember he was excited last time because he was able to buy some blue armour? mithril I believe? He was pointing out "really strong guys" to me so I assume he's pretty low.

Ok well I'll leave an instance of the games log in page up with the change from that guide and see if the ram usage does cap at the max the guide suggested of 300.

yeah 300mb should be enough and i assume he is playing in SD (standard detail)? a decent graphics card should run in HD no problem and won't take any more memory.

****!

the cap isnt working. currently in my task manager it's using 650mb and rising fast, cap my arse.

Nah his is ok, I think he plays on high not sure, it's my PC which is the problem when he comes here.

mines@

vista 64
Q6600
2x2gb
Hd4870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom