Antivirus - Kindly help me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is another way they did that there software comes pre-installed on most new PCs. Fortuantely for me mine is an emachines that comes pre-installed with Mc Afee not noton.

I am told that Zone Alram is very good. Never tried it myself.

McAffee sux. Norton sux. They both use about twice the resources of NOD32, Avast and AVG. They suck. Symantec is alright but that still uses just a hair more than NOD32 and Avast. Kaspersky, well that is know to break down on Vista.

This is all personal preference. We can argue over this all day.

Norton AntiVirus 2008 - Efficiency test - Neowin Forums
AntiVirus Comparison - Google Search
TEST: Norton Antivirus - Beta-Place

There the first one and last one are actual comparisons done by people. The last one is done in VMWare with the same setup. Each shows how much resources a system uses with each applicaiton installed.

But again it is personal preference. I used Norton and swore by it for so many years. Till i tried Avast. Then it found over 50 viruses and malware on my PC that norton said was clean. Since then i have not looked back.

McAffee sux. Norton sux. They both use about twice the resources of NOD32, Avast and AVG. They suck. Symantec is alright but that still uses just a hair more than NOD32 and Avast. Kaspersky, well that is know to break down on Vista.

This is all personal preference. We can argue over this all day.

Norton AntiVirus 2008 - Efficiency test - Neowin Forums
AntiVirus Comparison - Google Search
TEST: Norton Antivirus - Beta-Place

There the first one and last one are actual comparisons done by people. The last one is done in VMWare with the same setup. Each shows how much resources a system uses with each applicaiton installed.

But again it is personal preference. I used Norton and swore by it for so many years. Till i tried Avast. Then it found over 50 viruses and malware on my PC that norton said was clean. Since then i have not looked back.

exactly. Symantec is alright until you scan a system that has a big hdd. I once stopped it at 3hr when it claimed to be halfway done a 200 gig hdd. nod32 scan it in 13minutes

nod32 is always in the top five in any av test, but it's alway no.1 in heuristic testing Heuristic testing is extremely important because that is what gives an Antivirus the ability to catch a virus even it is not in the virus database.

Yeah NOD32 has been at the top of my list for a while. Sadly my subscription ran out and i havent had a chance to update it. That is why i use Avast right now.

Just stay away from these:

Norton (It might aswell do a constant full system scan, it really does slow your pc down, and its detection sucks)

SpyBot S&D can be annoying, it tells you every major registry change...

Avast, if it finds a virus it does a full system scan that took over 1 hour on my small hard drive and fast CPU upon reboot...

Holy ****, if you get something called EasyAcoonaSearch virus on your PC quickly do something about it, its just UNINSTALLED MY ANTIVIRUS !!

win 2007 antivirus is the best.

sike. that the virus that most dummies install on their computers when they get a pop up telling them that they have a virus

Avast doesnt take a hour to scan. It can get thru my whoel TB of info in less than 20 minutes. Let alone that it does a active scan all the time.

I use Antivir Personal Edition

It's free, very light on resources, and is very effective.

It also has good heuristics, and rootkit detection.

Antivir is much, much faster than Norton.

*edit*
I'll do a complete scan on my five hard drives, and tell you how fast it scans....

1x74GB Raptor
1x320GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA
3x750GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA

with well over a terabyte of data stored

*edit*
I've just calculated my total used drive space:
1602.65 GB out of 2463.24 GB total

*edit*
it seems that scan time is proportional to the average file size, not just how much space is used.

I have some folders with lots of small files. Those take longer to scan than folders I have with large files.

*edit*
1:08:07 to scan 790,751 files, 18,994 directories, 29,581 archives, at 1,602.65 GB
while playing CS:S with 18 bots, on high settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom