Antivirus - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Antivirus

i have 2 pc's in my house and the "family" one is owned by my mum so it helps her sleep at night if norton is installed..*rolls eyes*howeevr i have recently put bitdefender 9 security suit on as we all knwo nortons rubbish and it was lagging the computer, i have read and from previous experiences thougth bitdefender is a very good antivirus but is it and does it hog the system? are there any good AV's that dont hog the system if bitdefender does (by recommendatio), bear in mind i hate AVG. so basically is bitdefender any good?

Old 06-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I like Symantec Antivirus keep in mind this is different than Norton. You may also want to look at Avast but bitdefender is a good AV as well.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I use Symantec Antivirus 10 Corporate Edition which dont hog nothing
Old 06-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

thanks im going to check out the symantec antivirus.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

I use bitdefender 9 very good indeed i also have ewido security suite both run at start up and no problems so far I also have AVG installed but not running at start up. So far no conflicts first time iv managed to get 3 anti viruses running without trouble.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

That's because all symanctec does is detect and scan for viruses compare to the feature that comes with Norton Anti-Virus 2006 which has spyware protection, worm protection, email, IM, etc etc. That's why it hog alot of memory. It's unnoticable on high end machine but it's pretty bad on system that aren't equip with the latest hardware.

The one you should try is avast and anti-vir, both are great but avast is better. Both are good for lowend machine also.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Law
That's because all symanctec does is detect and scan for viruses compare to the feature that comes with Norton Anti-Virus 2006 which has spyware protection, worm protection, email, IM, etc etc.
I find it always annoying when people buy low end pc`s and are always conned into getting norton 2006 with their machine, when most times it struggles to handle it.

the amount of pc`s I fix for people and most are computer illiterate they all have norton 2006 installed, I still say people should be forced to learn basic computer skills.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by baronvongogo
I find it always annoying when people buy low end pc`s and are always conned into getting norton 2006 with their machine, when most times it struggles to handle it.

the amount of pc`s I fix for people and most are computer illiterate they all have norton 2006 installed, I still say people should be forced to learn basic computer skills.
yeah, it would be for there own good wouldnt it
Old 06-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

if it wasnt for peoples ignorance you wouldnt have a job fixing them. :P
Old 06-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

I dont have a job fixing computers I just do it out of my own good I hate being such a lovely person.