Another Vista Question -

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSM CEO

Banned
Im thinking about upgrading to -

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

now here are my main questions....
1. i have Windows XP Home - will this work, or do i need the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade

2. Will 1GB of DDR 2 Ram be enough to run it?

should i get regular or the ''Upgrade version''

and i cant upgrade my ram yet so thats not an option yet/

Well it depends. Do youplan on upgrading or full isntall? That will tell me which version to tell you to get. The Full version will only allow for fresh installs. the upgrade will only allow for upgrades. With that you have to have a Full version of XP installed AND activated in order for the upgrade to take.

I always suggest against upgrades as there is always software installed that causes conflicts after the upgrade is complete. Plus if there was already issues with the OS slowing it wont get any better with a upgrade.

So my personal suggestion is Full or regular. It will run with 1GB of DDR2 RAM. But when you can upgrade to 2GB.

i want to Replace XP with Vista -

i basically want to just use it for home, and a bit of small buisness -

BUT -

i want to know, does XP come with apps in it? because i dont have the MS Word/Exel ect..... any more

No Vista doesnt come with Any of those apps. Those are seperate.

As in replace are you saying to format and install or to just use your current install?

ok i may have mis-spoke..

i intend to put the vista sick in the PC and it install, im not planning on a format..

and what apps does vista come with?

So you plan on upgrading. There are no apps that come with Vista. It only comes with the Media Center, Aero, IE7, WMP, and that is aobut it. Some basic games that comes with Windows but there are not applications like Office or anything that come pre-installed. That is only on store bought machines not on upgrades you do yourself.

is it worth getting from your point of view?

and wil i be able to download Word/Excel on the internet?

Makaveli213 said:
Well it depends. Do youplan on upgrading or full isntall? That will tell me which version to tell you to get. The Full version will only allow for fresh installs. the upgrade will only allow for upgrades. With that you have to have a Full version of XP installed AND activated in order for the upgrade to take.

I have heard that if you have your Windows XP COA number that you can do a full install from the upgrade disk, and just enter your number during installation. Then when you activate, if you entered a COA number that is already in the database, it won't let you activate without calling the number and pleading your case.

If this is true, the OP should buy the cheaper upgrade version, no matter what type of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom