another reinstall xp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardoz

Solid State Member
Hi, quick question. Im reinstalling xp onto a NEW drive. Will this method below work still if Im changing my HD's or not because it will see new drive as hardware changes? All other hardware is same..just new drive. I cant find my activation code so...ug. Old drives boot sector is failing on me at moment I believe.

1. Double-click My Computer
2. Double-click on the "C" drive
3. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
4. Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
5. After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process
6. Reboot your computer into SafeMode (you can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal or follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode
7. Double-click My Computer
8. Double-click on the "C" drive
9. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
10. Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"
11. Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder
12. Restart your system (if you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode)

I just read this on http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
Now im confused how I should do this...just need to install new hard drive on same computer without a activation code written down.

HINT No. 3: It is valuable to back up the two files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK from the Windows\System32 folder.Then, should they get damaged, or should you do a ‘Repair’ reinstallation of Win XP, these files can be copied back to restore the prior activation status. However, this only works in those limited circumstances. The contents of these two files is matched to the specific Windows setup; therefore, contrary to what many journalists and members of the user community have written in recent months, restoring these files will not restore your activation status following a reformat and clean install.

i have never seen that wpa.bak file on my computers.

but copy that file(s) back you should be allright

Ok I put new drive in, formatted and all that...start installing xp. There is at no time away to cancel or get into safe mode without putting the activation code in. I dont understand how this is possible. I wish there was a way I could just get the code and put it in...its legit..same computer. I just lost the stupid cd sleave with the code on it...this sucks.
I tried booting into safe mode and it will not load..it just restarts installation. Any help would be appreciated!

by the way Im on a seperate comp at moment...thats why Im online.

This step isnt there for me...
5. After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process

forget this..ive never dealt with anything more rediculous than this..just trying to reinstall my os. I guess I have to go pay ms another 200 bucks for XP tommorow. My hard drive wont even boot so...running a program to get this stupid activation code wont work..and even if I do get it, its gonna see a new hard drive and not let me install because of the hardware hash or whatever. I cant wait till monday to call em.

hey, call ms and ***** at them, seriously, it works usually, if not, somehow go onto a friend's computer and get a program that will read and write NTFS partitions in dos, then put the files back that way, unless ur on a fat partition then just boot to dos and try it that way, hopefully it helps. but ur best luck is just ***** at microsoft for 5 minutes, works for my friend, works for me, pretty sure its gonna work for u.

are you saying that you lost your xp cd key?

you left that out earlier. copying those wpa.dbl and .bak files has nothing to do with that

anyway, go get you a copy of partition magic. put your old hard drive back in and copy your old drive files to your new one. you won't have to worry about activation

what software came with your new hard drive? you should have some kind of disc copying software with it

or download you a trial version
of tweak xp http://www.totalidea.com/frameset-products.htm
it will show you your cd key on your first hard drive, write it down, type it in word and print you a copy to put up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom