Another OS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody's gotta when Mak's not around :p.

Carnagex,

Are you absolutely positive I can Just install XP on 1 partition and vista on another and I can leave win 7 alone?

Also, how do I use easybcd to change the bootloader. I just installed it on win 7.

Will mak213 be around at some point tonight to verify this for us?

thx

Yes you can just install XP and Vista at any point and not have it affect your Windows 7 install.

The issue will be with the boot loader. Since 7 is the newest it also has the newest boot loader. IT still uses the BCD that Vista does but it is a little bit updated. So what will happen is you will install XP, and only have XP as a boot option.

Then you will install Vista and you will get the BCD and have Vista and XP as boot options via the BCD Loader. You will then have to either manually edit teh bcd.exe or use EasyBCD to add a entry for Windows 7, or just reinstall it.

Using EasyBCD will be the easiest option. It is also fully compatible with Windows 7 Build 7000 which is the latest release.

Carnage was right that it could be done. But it will take some work to get Win7 added back after it is all said and done. Not to much work, but a little bit. There wont be a need for using Acrnois at all.

If the option comes up again, Saxon is right. Going with the oldest OS first is always the best option. But if you are within Win7 you can not insert the XP disk and start the install. You will have to boot from CD.

Clarification given. ;)

Carnage,

Not doubting you one bit. I am just a worry wart so it is me with the issue.

Mak, can you answer this thread when you get a chance, please?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/new-hd-installed-202111/#post1607131

Carnage is probably correct but he wasn't sure. Problem is though I already created them with MBR ticked off but I did NOT do anything with them yet. If it is suppose to be unticked, can I delete them and do it over?

thx for all the help guys.

Nevermind read the read and replied. Yes you want it ticked off. I explained in that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom