another formatting question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to thedevilisbad Send a message via Yahoo to thedevilisbad
Default another formatting question

Ok so I figured out how to reformat my old 98SE.

Now I need to format a unused drive on my XP. Before we got XP home I had XP pro on this computer (illegaly until I could get a legal copy). Xp pro was on our C: drive. My exchange student who knows more about loading windows then I do (we always buy it preloaded) created some partitions for the drives so If we need to reformat we wouldn't have to delete all our files. Well I screwed up loading XP home and I put it on our D: drive. Now it ask me to choose my OS whenever I boot up. Will I be able to format my C drive even though it is the primary partition and my D drive is and extension?

Thanks for all the previous help,

Aaron

Old 06-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yes, you can use partitionmagic 8 to do this.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Redcoat

So I as understand it you have XP Pro install on your C: drive and XP home installed on your D: drive?

You can still format c: even if you partioned your hard drive. It will not damange any files remaining on the d: drive

You can do this by booting off the XP install cd and when choosing the partition to install on choose the option to format it before installing the OS.

If you want to get both C: and D: formatted back into one large drives you will need to use a partitioning program... either FDISK or a third party one like patition magic.

Post again if you need clarity
Old 06-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to thedevilisbad Send a message via Yahoo to thedevilisbad

opk thanks lets see if this works
Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini on C: are required to boot your copy of xp on D:. Make sure you replace them if you format C:.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

do you guys know of any free versions of something like partitionmagic 8?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Partition Resizer. Although I've never used it, it seems to be lacking some features.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

"The files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini on C: are required to boot your copy of xp on D:. Make sure you replace them if you format C:."

How do I do that?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No partition magic is not free. But hey if you pirat windows pirating Partition Magic shouldn't be too hard.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-24-2005, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well my friend is a tech genius, and I tired to use a key generator but failed. So I just used pro to buy my copy of home over ebay. Then my free trial of pro ran out so I thought I'd get rid of it.

Closed Thread