Annoying vicious circle - Windows XP Pro trouble

Coryk

Beta member
I have a Dell XPS 700 running XP Pro and currently having some issues. It got a file corrupted (\windows\system32\config\system) normally this is an easy fix by just popping in the Windows XP disc. However, when I do this I get a blue screen that does not allow me to run the disk (000007B), so I can't run the computer to fix the blue screen problem (missing system file) and the blue screen problem disallows me running the XP disc...would anyone have some suggestions? I've spent about 4-5 hours reading forum posts about how to fix one problem or the other, but I can't find a solution to fix both at the same time or a bypass to 1 problem to fix the other problem. :annoyed:

I was planning on reformatting the computer soon anyways, so I don't mind losing everything on this computer.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to do that. Do I use the Windows XP pro disc? That and the resource CD are the only ones I have currently

The 0x07b stop error is usually caused from bad system memory, or a corrupted file system. Something caused the directory to become corrupt, need to find out what caused it before you do anything IMO.

Oh, I have done those steps before, and I never get a "Welcome to Windows Setup" screen, I don't get any hit enter to start setup or press R for repair option like they talk about, the CD starts loading windows components then when it's done it goes straight into a Stop:0x0000007B error. I could overtired and using the wrong disc or something however.

I noticed that my Norton Ghost disk allows me to view and delete files even in my desktops current state. Could I possible delete a few files or drivers that are giving me the 7b stop error, or would this further hurt my ability to fix it?

I would avoid deleting any files..

Go into your BIOS and see what mode your HDD is setup as. See if it's setup as AHCI (SATA) or IDE.

It seems to be an IDE setup on the HDD but it has SATA drives. Sorry I'm making this more difficult by not being knowledgeable of this area of computers.

I just realized this XPS has 2 hard drives, would it be possible to swap the C drive and D drive? I've never put anything on the D drive or even used it at all, would windows be installed on it already?

Back
Top Bottom