annoying problem setting default DVD player - Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkonflictx

Solid State Member
I have WinDVD installed and want that to be my default DVD player .... thing is, windows media player (10) wont let go of the DVD file association!!

If i open WMP, goto options, file types, and uncheck the box besides DVD it does apply it then, but when i close and reopen WMP and go back to options the box is checked again . It doesnt do it for any other file types i can uncheck them, they stay unchecked after closing/reopening and then can reassign them and it all works ok ... but for some reason DVD filetype checkbox keeps getting re-checked?!

I have right clicked the DVD drive when a DVD is inserted, gone to autoplay, selected 'DVD video' from the drop down box and told it to open with winDVD and that DOES work ok when i put in a disc... BUT, if i close WinDVD, then try to double click the dvd drive it just opens with windows media player not WinDVD!!

Anyone have any idea as to where/what the problem is? And got anything i can try?

Iv been looking round on google for half an hour but to no avail.. and the ONE person who had my problem and asked on a forum fixed it himself and posted 'Sorted', without saying how he freaking did it lol.... sigh. Anyways if someone can help out would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

My computer > tools > folder options > file types tab > DVD > change and select winDVD.

EDIT : if that doesnt work follow the steps up to dvd but instead of change press advanced > edit and redirect the link to winDVD
Good luck :)

Thanks for the input mate, n joy sadly not sure what was going on ...

I uninstalled WinDVD and re-installed and its all working ok now. I thought to try uninstall/reinstall a bit ago but have just formatted my pc and kinda wanted to keep it clean from uninstalls as long as could. Job done tho so cant be to annoyed bout it anyways :) .

Thanks again all. Chat you again soon no doubt hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom