annoying install pop-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAIN and Gator are 3rd-party spyware programs associated with programs you have downloaded and used (most specifically, Kazaa).

s0me0ne is right. You should have a spyware blocker or filter on your system, regardless of the browser you use. Whether you see the install messages or not, the sites are still hitting you with them. I would take care to see how your browser handles this, especially if it is from a 3rd-party OS source. Some sites will hit any computer that pings their servers, and your computer must provide some kind of response to the server's "attack." Depending on your browser, you could be surprised at what's happening "behind the scenes."

As always, ignorance never prevents liability.

That Shoobie guy is pretty smart:D We get some good feed back in this group. I recently upgraded Ad-Aware plus to Ad-Aware plus SE. Ad-Watch is now installed in my system and for now I like the combination offered by Ad-Aware and Adwatch. I didn't use AdWatch in the past but it seems to have smoothed the browser out somewhat. It also keeps out the hit box guys so I like it!!!! Zone Alarm Pro is set up to help with popups and invaders, it does a nice job. McAfee does a great job on the system virus and email defense. I think it requires a line of defense from various programs to keep the system clean of bad guys. ;)

Only thing I use is Avast and opera. I've never seen my system slow down in the past 3 months. No wierd processes running. Avast got about 5 virusses from my e-mail.

I think it requires a line of defense from various programs to keep the system clean of bad guys.
That's how all security setups work. The National Archives has a 9-layer electronic document security shell, with a slew of protection features on each layer. The point is, treat your computer the same way. Just don't get redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom