Am I weird or what? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Am I weird or what?

Salute and howdy!
I'm on of those who likes to have a smooth running system so I generally reinstall my OS every six months or so. In reality it's more like every four months. I'm not what you'd call your normal user. I install this and that and uninstall same said this and that and tweak here and tweak there and it's not uncommon for my OS to get pretty frazzled and rather than sifting through for hours trying to undo all the damage I've done, and I'm rarely successful, it's easier for me to take an hour and start from scratch.
The problem I'm having is that often is the case where when I reinstall I have a hard time re-activating Windows.

Now as I prepare to go shell out another c-note to pick up Vista 64 for my new machine I'm worried that I'll have the same problem only worse since V64 is a new ballgame for me and I'm more likely to screw it up with all my tweaking. (Not tweaking my machine is not an option for me. I'm a habitual tweaker.)

Any tips on avoiding this problem in the future? I'm not trying to screw MS out of their money. The OS I'm referring to is always bought and paid for and always on a single machine. Heck, I bought 4 diff OSs for my last rig. XP home $130, XP pro $200, Vista 32bit $230, and Vista 64 bit upgrade disk $10 so trust me when I say MS is getting their fair share of cash from me.

And someone please tell me I'm not the only one who likes to do a fresh install every 4-6 months.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Am I weird or what?

I do a clean every few weeks. All the data i need is backed up on my external

Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHZ
4GB OCZ Platinum
Nvidia 8800gt 718/1061
Nvidia 6200LE
Maxtor 250 GB Sata
Windows XP Pro 32 Bit
650W Coolermaster
Monitor one: Acer 22" Flatpanel LCD
Monitor two: Xplio 17" Flatpanel LCD
Monitor three: Samsung 50" HDTV
Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I backup all my software and media, etc and have got reinstalling down to an art. It's activation that's vexing me. You have activation problems?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you need to learn how to work a virtual machine like vmware and use restore software like drive image. you install xp and all of it's drivers then activate. then make a backup to another partition. you can restore this forever with out reactivating
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to Wog2000

I have Vista 64 and I just reloaded from an image back up I saved. I use the one included in vista and it works great! I keep all of my OS and other software on one drive and all the rest including the image on another.
Q6600 G0|Thermalright ULTRA-120|Diamond HD 2900 XT 1GB GDDR4|4x2gig Ram|Vista Ultimate 64-bit|PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Red)|4x WD Caviar SE16 750GB SATA II|Sony NEC Optiarc SuperMulti SATA|Cooler Master Stacker 830 w/7-120mm case fans|Samsung 226BW|G15 Keyboard|Lachasis Mouse|Altec Lansing FX5051|TrippLite UPS
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I didn't realize Vista came with an image backup function. I'll have to look into it when I get home from work.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
you need to learn how to work a virtual machine like vmware and use restore software like drive image. you install xp and all of it's drivers then activate. then make a backup to another partition. you can restore this forever with out reactivating
I was thinking the exact same thing.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
That and learn how to stop screwing your machine up. I do all my necessary tweaks, then stop. I never need to reinstall or restore from a backup or anything. Do the tweaks that you actually need, then find a different hobby. There are many other things to do on a computer.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Half the fun is from figuring out how to fix your screwups.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If I wanted to spend hours trying to figure out how to fix my OS I'd use Linux.

Closed Thread