Am I Bottlenecking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Specs are in my sig.

Basically, with my old video card (XFX 8600GT 256mb XXX Edition) I'd do between 100 and 120fps in WoW. Now, with my new card, Im lucky to hit 100fps. I even drop to 20fps when there are lots of people around me (lots to render). Basically, this is unacceptable. All this is in Vista Ultimate, btw.

Are my graphics options too high? Should I be able to max out what I have and be getting this low?

My cousin has an 8800GTS 640mb, a slightly faster CPU, and half the RAM, and is doing around 200fps. My friend, with an Athlon 3200+, 3GB of RAM, and an 8600GT is doing 50-60fps. That's whats got me scared.

EDIT Also, unless you have good reasons to back yourself up, I dont just want to hear "vista suxorz y0"

Well could could very well be bottlenecking yourself. What OS are you running? I know you said Vista in the other thread but is it 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

That could be your issue right there. You got 4GB of RAM and you are running a 512MB card. It is hard enough for a 32 Bit system to recognize 4GB of RAM due to the kernel let alone try to add anohter 512MB for Video. If you remover 1 or 2GB of RAM you will notice a boost.

You should run 64 Bit with those specs to take full advantage of everything.

Id switch if I could, but a certain app Im using (morality is in question, so I dont want people on my *** for using it ;)) is x86-only, so I think Ill pull my RAM, sell it, and get 2gb of good overclocking ram. Should I start a new topic about which RAM would be good to overclock, or do you think you can answer that too? :p Basically, whats the best overclocking RAM (without blowing hundreds of dollars - basically Id like to sell my RAM or trade it for 2gb of something very overclockable).

I think you have one of the best already. OCZ is great RAM and there stuff can be overclocked. That is what i use as well. But as far as what other types you would be better off in the hardware area as i have not kept fully up to date with all the types of RAM and which are good for OC'ing as i do it rarely. ;)

I max out around 900mhz (up from 800mhz stock). This board is so confusing to overclock. Doesnt give you the FSB: DRAM, just a CPU clock (quad-pumped) and RAM clock (dual data rate clock). Most I can get out of it is 2.6GHz for the CPU and 900MHz for the ram (and I had to dial the ram back, nothing was stable). vCore was 1.4v and vRAM was 2.1v.

Also, as for ram, mine's more value ram than performance ram (you can pick up 2gb of it for ~$30, with a MIR). This is the kinda stuff I can equate to performance RAM from OCZ:
Reaper_HPC.jpg

So basically, if I wanted to increase performance (after going back to 2gb of ram), should I get better RAM and overclock it, get a better motherboard and overclock what I have, or get a better CPU (Im thinking of the e8400)?

I know that the Q6600 is a good CPU. With that this mother board is great for OC'g and such tasks.

Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

That is the CPU i am talking about. It will work with the mother board i have linked to. Those are the parts i am gonna order myself soon. ;)

As for the RAM you are right. You have Value RAM which doesn OC good. You need performance RAM. As i stated OCZ has always been good to me. That is what i use and why i stick with it. Others will say something else.

The new CPU looks good. I mean it will help as it is 3GHz. But the choice is yoru really. You can do any option you wish. For more performance you would get more out of what i suggested in terms of mobo/CPU.

You would get more out of your current mobo if you got the performance RAM and the new CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom