Alternitives to Norton's Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
we create an image file using Acronis on a master system, sysprep it etc then just throw the image on a server, we then use a lan bootup and load Acronis then select the server and image. Sadly we dint have the corporate edition or enterprise which allows a full network image, we have to manually go around each computer imaging it in this method :( but it works.

Your best bet is to work on a standalone pc with just basic windows installed nothing else and no net connection install a few apps and just mess with sysprep till you get to a point that you can test. Then use VMware to simulate the install and see if it works this resource is very good:

Kilian's Guide: Sysprep

How to Use Sysprep: An Introduction

the Kilian one has lots of references and links, once you get the c:\sysprep folder and get the deploy.cab extracted there then you can play. You can download the deploy.cab without using the windows cd here's the link:
Download details: Windows XP SP2 Deployment Tools for Advanced Users

the setupmgr in the deploy.cab will help you make a sysprep.inf with settings to automate the install here all we have to enter is computer name individually for each comp, everything else is then automated.

We use Ghost Cast server here and work and it works really well except for needing multiple images and floppy boot disks!! I tried the SMS OS deployment tool but never got the image working and never had time to monkey around with it.

The next thing I want to try is RIS. I am looking for a truely network based deployment method where I never even have to touch the other PC that needs imaging, but that may be asking a lot I know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom