All-in-Wonder with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestcupp

Daemon Poster
I just installed Vista Home Premium with no problems. I like it a lot. I'm trying to get used to all of the changes.

The only thing that ticks me off is that I just bought an ATI All-in-Wonder video card, and ATI isn't supporting the multimedia capabilities in Vista. All they have are the GPU drivers. It appears that it may never be supported. So I paid for a video card with all of the extras, and I can't even use the extras. I think they may be dropping the AIW line all together.

So if anyone hears of any workaround to get the AIW tv tuner to work in the Vista Media Center, please let me know. I shouldn't have to buy another tv tuner after I already paid for this one.

Did you already try these?

naamloosgk9.jpg

Have you tried using the XP drivers and installing them in compatability mode? That also works at times as well.

Did you already try these?

naamloosgk9.jpg

I have the AIW x800, but it doesn't matter; none of them are supported. Yes I did try what you pointed out, but if you reread my original post, you'll see that I said they have drivers for the GPU, but not for the extra multimedia capabilities. So Vista renders my more expensive AIW X800 to be exactly the same as a plain ol' X800 video card.

I thought about trying the XP drivers in compatibility mode, but I'm afraid to do it. Their excuse for my tv tuner not working is that because of DRM mumbo-jumbo, Vista won't allow something running as a service to access 3d in DirectX10. Because their stuff runs as a service and uses 3d in DX, they can't get it to work in Vista. Because their standalone tv tuners don't work this way, they are compatible, but AIW's aren't.

Maybe I'll try the XP compatibility thing, but I don't want to bork my pc especially before they get system restore working right. How do you install things in compatibility mode?

Download the XP drivers. From there right click on the executable. Under the properties there is a compatability tab. Check the box that says XP SP2. It will then install with those properties.

There is no guarentee that this will work but it will be your best option.

Microsoft drivers work, but you can't set all of the options. You can only have resolutions of 800x600 or 1028x760. You can't use any of the multimedia features. All cards should be supported with ATI drivers for the GPU, just not the tv tuner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom