After Windows XP Installs, computer boots from CD again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quail

Solid State Member
My system specs are :

MOBO abit AV8 socket 939
CPU AMD winchester 3000+
RAM 512 kingston 3200, 512 corsair (indubitably one will suspect this as the problem. However, it was working for 13 months in this setup perfectly fine when one day it stopped)
GPU eVGA 6800 Ultra AGP 8x
HD WD Caviar SE SATA 120 GB
PSU SilenX 480W by Thermaltake

Here is my problem:

One day I shut down my computer by pressing the power button. After that, I got the "CANNOT BOOT FROM SELECTED DISK, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" message.

My friend suspected it was a hard drive sector problem; he said that the disk was writing something when I pulled the plug on the computer, which made it scratch one of the sectors.

OK.

Sent in to WD for HD replacement.

When I got it back, I tried to install windows XP onto it. I put boot order CD FLOPPY HD

As you all know, I used a SATA driver disk to let windows recognize the HD because I am using a WD Caviar SATA drive. So I press "f6", and by enabling three of the SATA drivers (for some reason that combination works) I can get to the point where I can press "f8" to accept, which one would think implies that the system RECOGNIZES the drive. Then it goes on to install windows, takes about 3 minutes. After this, you get:

"Windows has installed successfully and will now restart. If there are any floppy disks in drive A: please remove them now. Your computer will restart in 15 seconds. To restart now, press ENTER" There is a red bar that starts ticking down 1/15 every second.

So since I have that floppy in A: from instaling SATA drivers, I remove it. NOW, here is the REAL problem that I would need your guys' help on!!!!!!

Normally, when you go through this part of windows xp installation, you restart the computer with the CD still in there, and it takes you to that friendly blue background windows user interface, you set up your time, date, enter your registration key, blah blah blah.

However, when the computer restarts, it just does the same thing over again!! It BOOTS FROM CD, which takes me to that blue screen again, starting with "if there are additional drivers please press f6 ... " blah blah.

So for some reason the computer isn't "remembering" that it has to continue the setup of windows ... I hope I am coming across clearly here.

I also tried taking out BOTH the CD and the floppy when that red bar starts ticking and it says to reboot, but when I do that, I either get "CANNOT BOOT FROM SELECTED DISK, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" message, or sometimes the "windows did not detect a hard drive... please check your hard drive configuration manuals for more information... blah blah" a black screen.

Please. For the sake of sanity, HELP !!!!!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom