After updating WinXP computer wont load

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this were my computer... then i would agree with you... but this is my girlfriends computer... and im not sure what (if anything) she has backed up... so i cant really give up on it just yet...

besides regardless of the outcome of this... i would still like to know how to set windows NOT to auto restart when a blue screen happens so i can read whatever error messages there are...

i would still like to know how to set windows NOT to auto restart when a blue screen happens so i can read whatever error messages there are...

There should be an option added to the F8 menu to disable the auto reboot. You'll at least you'll be able to see what the blue screen says.

You may be having a RAM issue as well. Download memtest and run it on each stick of RAM if you have more than one. Let it run for several passes on each.

ok... so i found out that the things that needed to be backed up are... so i decided to just re-install windows and start over... i just finished installing win xp... and it loaded just fine... the first thing i did when the new copy of win xp was on... was install Win SP3... and immediately i got stuck in the same loop i did this morning... where it boots the page that gives 3 modes on how you want to start windows.

1) Safe Mode
2) Last known good configuration
3) Start windows Normally

and all three send me back to the same page... and i get stuck in the same loop =(

ive always installed the service pack before i installed drivers... and ive never had a problem before... is that wrong?

and again... Windows loaded just fine until i installed Win XP SP3... so i dont think its hardware related...

also... should i install SP2 before SP3? or can i just upgrade straight to SP3?

ive always installed the service pack before i installed drivers... and ive never had a problem before... is that wrong?

and again... Windows loaded just fine until i installed Win XP SP3... so i dont think its hardware related...

also... should i install SP2 before SP3? or can i just upgrade straight to SP3?

I would at least install the chipset driver first and eliminate any hardware warnings in the device manager before running the SP3 update.

That SP3 file you have is all service packs combined. That service pack gives the hard drive a big work out. I would turn delayed writes off until the sevice pack is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom