After updating WinXP computer wont load

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4ic_fln

Baseband Member
So my girlfriend just updated windows xp this morning... since doing so, her computer wont load... it shows the 'windows failed to load' screen with the options to start in safe mode, last known good configuration, or start windows normally... i tried all 3 options to see if windows would load... but when it reboots, all 3 send me back to the exact same 'windows failed to load' screen with the same 3 options...

PLEASE HELP!

=(

That's strange. Today 3 of the 4 cafeteria computers @ work (school distr) were updated, and now all 3 are bombarding the users with errors. Gotta love how MS updates just... work!

Have you tried booting from the Windows CD and doing a repair?

May have to go with a repair install of XP. If you can't get to safe mode to uninstall the updates, I am guessing a repair install is your best bet.

ive never done a repair install before... is it as simple as booting from the Windows CD and then just selecting the repair install option?

Actually, it's not an HP. Its a computer I built. And its not a bluescreen that is the error. It boots the page that gives 3 modes on how you want to start windows.

1) Safe Mode
2) Last known good configuration
3) Start windows Normally

Problem is, no matter what option I tell it to try and boot windows, it sends me back to the same page with the same 3 options.

Ok... so i did the windows XP repair install... as instructed on the link you posted... it finished the repair install and went to reboot... when it tries to reboot it brings up the windows loading screen (with the windows logo and the loading bar underneath) but from there is goes to another screen that just says 'Setup is being restarted........' then it restarts the booting process and i get stuck in a different loop than before...

*sadface*

The repair install is just like a Windows install. It goes thru 2 different steps. You need to go thru the BOTH for the system to be repaired. Insert the XP disc again and let it finish the 2nd step.

the computer got stuck in the 2nd loop i described... so i ran the repair windows from the start again... it completed the 1st step of the process without issue... then it loads the installing windows xp page (which i assume is the 2nd step you talked about)... its kinda a light blue color with a checklist on the left side of the screen... the checklist read as follows:

Collecting information (checked)
Dynamic Update (checked)
Preparing installation (checked)
Installing windows (NOT checked)
Finalizing installation (NOT checked)

underneath that it says 'setup will complete in 39 minutes'... and on the right there were a few paragraphs describing 'the new look of windows xp' and how easy the automatic windows updates makes keeping your computer up to date... ironic isnt it that the auto windows update is what has caused this whole mess in the first place... =/

moving on... there was no movement from this screen for about 3m... then a bar popped up under the 'setup will complete in 39m' labeled as 'installing devices'... the bar started filling up for about 2s and the 'setup will complete' line moved to 36m... but then i promptly recieved a blue screen and restart... and now i am stuck in a 3rd loop that i cant get out of...

can you please tell me how to get the computer to not auto restart when i get a blue screen error... im sure there is infomation on there that i could relay to you guys that would be of great help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom