Aero glass in XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with these things are that they try to make XP use PNG for transparency. XP Cant use PNG in its windows. It only uses BMP which doesnt do transparency. So the only way to get the effects of Glass is to use Windowsblinds 5 which can give you the per pixel shading. That is the only way to truly get the glass look.

Ok, that makes sense thanks. So let me get this straight: Neither one of these two make xp look glass, just look like vista without the aero?

I don't know which of the two is more like vista, but the transformation pack seems to have some sort of see-through look to the windows and the shell pack seems to have more vista-like graphics.

These will give you some feel of Vista. But to get the full effect only Windowsblinds 5 with a good skin will be like Vista.

The Trans pack will give you problems if you get tired of it and want to remove it. It replaces some files that XP needs and therefor will give problems on some systems when you try to remove it.

The Shell pack will be limited as it cant use PNG in the windows. Shell packs only replace the shell which is controled by XP which can only use BMP. So it may look that way but that is only cause they probably left out couple of lines of pixels to give you that "feel" of transparency.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. Windowblinds has a trial, but will the trial let you do glass? also is it possible to convert png to bmp? If it is possible, that would be great!

The WB trial is alright. It will give you everything WB has to offer but only for its short time.

There is no way to take the PNG Format and convert it to BMP. The BMP is a very basic graphic format and cant handle what PNG can. Even if the conversion was possible you would lose the transparency.

The Shell pack, like i stated, has probably used some per-pixel shading. Or has just left out a couple of rows of pixels which would give the semi-transparent look.

Makaveli213 said:

The Shell pack, like i stated, has probably used some per-pixel shading. Or has just left out a couple of rows of pixels which would give the semi-transparent look.

Ok. Would you say the shell pack is better and more like vista?

That i cant answer. I personally use Windowsblinds 5 with some great skins that are ported directly over from Vista.

I havent had any personal experience with the Shell packs. But i have with the Trans packs and i wouldnt recommend those.

The Shell packs would be easier to remove. But to be more like Vista i dont think so. But they could be. As i said i dont have personal experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom