Adware - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2005, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Adware

Alright, I recently went to a lyrics website, and wanted to search for a song. It required an activeX control(I know... i know.... should have accepted), and i accepted. So now I get pop-ups any time i am on the internet. I very often watch my proccess list so i know when something is there and it shouldnt be, so i have compiled a list of aliases this program renames itself under.
Also, wouldnt this be considered a virus? I mean, it renames itself at will, and not only that, but everytime i delete it, it copies itself back to the same dir. It wont go away. Please someone help me with this. I dont want to have to format.

The list:
  • alphex.exe
  • ArcRes.dll
  • lculcy.dll
  • randreco.exe <=-- GOD i hate this one.
  • tnih-8-1-x-x.exe
  • WebPageRecorder.exe
  • dummy.htm

I am running 5 different spyware/adware programs, and they cannot get rid of it. nor can Norton anti-virus. It detects them, but it "fails" when i try removal. Please do not hesitate to help me on this, thanks in advance,

Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Try this program Webroot Spy Sweeper 3.5

Old 03-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Start, run, type msconfig, startup tab, disable all, reboot. Run your spyware programs, delete prefetch folder, delete cookies and tifs, Go to c: drive, program files, delete any folder that shouldnt be there, delete the files insideone by one or a few at a time, if it wont let you delete it, rename it to whatever you want, then delete it, if it still wont let you delete it, delte the rest of the remaining files or folders, reboot, then try to delete it again. Make sure randreco.exe or any other process is not running that shouldnt be when trying to delete the files. If it is and wont let you delete it, open up task manager and keep the folder open at the same time, delete the process and then quickly delete the folder otherwise the program will recreate itself. Run your spyware program untill they pick nothing else up, update them often. Download at least 3 to 4 different spyware programs because they will all find something that the other one doesnt.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oh no, I just used norton anti-virus to scan for everything, and that exe i told you above... its a trojan horse.(webpagerecorder)
Norton cannot delete it. I dont have money to renew my subscription, and i cant get rid of these. How do i get rid of a virus that stops norton from deleting it?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

uggghhhhh, i knew it was a virus. It copies itself, and it renames itself, and there is no way on earth to destroy it... i knew it. This is just great.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

your going to have to download an alternative free antivirus off I would go for avast antivirus because its free and has autoupdate like norton.

Closed Thread