Advice on windows update's affecting computer performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.thom21

Beta member
Hi, I am woundering if anyone can offer me any advice, I have a acer aspire 5315 windows vista 32Bit operating system (i know getting old isnt it) i have had to reset my computer back to its factory default a couple of times now due to computer problems which i think is the windows updates because after i install all the important updates so that the computer is up to date my memory always goes down by about 18GigaBytes yes that is true i am not a novice at computers i know my stuff.
So i am left with about 6GigaBytes of memory left which rapidly slows my computer down as 10GigaBytes is recommended for optimal performance and results in me having to do a sytem recovery again. Is their a way to skip all the old updates and just get the very latest updates? or if thats not possible then is it possible just to skip a few old updates to stop it from eating my memory?

If anyone can help please write back if you need more information let me know!.

THANKS

There is a difference between memory and hard drive storage space. Your Acer Aspire 5315 is physically limited to 2 Gigabytes of Memory. Your Acer Aspire 5315, on the other hand, supports up to a 200 Gigabyte Hard Drive.

Aspire 5315 Series Specifications

You need to clean out all the temporary files Windows creates to free up some space. Go to Start > My Computer. Then right click on your C: drive and select Properties. This will bring up the Properties Box, in the middle area of the box you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup", click on Disk Cleanup. This will start the Disk Cleanup scan, depending upon your system this make take a few seconds or several minutes (I've seen this take up to 10 minutes to complete). Once the scan is done another box will open offering you some options. Make sure the following items are checked:
  • Downloaded Program Files
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • Offline Webpages
  • Recycle Bin
  • Thumbnails

Click OK

This will free up some space but you may still need to free up some more. When your done with the Disk Cleanup Utility report back with your new Hard Drive space numbers and we will decide on your next course of action.

Hi, I did that it freed up 1GB, when i said memory i did mean my C:drive i have 2 hard disk drives, C:drive total memory 32.5GB available 13.3GB (AND THATS BEFORE I INSTALL ALL THE UPDATES AFTER I INSTALL THEM IT WOULD BE LOWER) D:drive 32.2GB total and 12.2GB available in that drive, my D drive is a little low because i have to save everything i download or install in the D:drive if i start to save things in the C:drive my computer will start to run slow again. Any more advice? what if i tried to compress the C:drive to save space would this work? and are their any risks for compressing the C:drive?

Thanks. im chris by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom