advice for msconfig boot and partition choice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default advice for msconfig boot and partition choice

My first question, I am using windows xp msconfig boot option to start up to load very few programs that may run in the background when I am burning a DVD or playing a computer game. when I need to have all programs that run in the background to be turned off is there some option that will remember my customized booting configuration when booting up xp ? its a real pain to have to tell xp everytime to shut off all running programs in the background when I need this option intact for a special reason. is there a program that can help me manage msconfig boot options ?

I have taken my 40gig hard drive and gave it 2 partitions C:14 gigs M:24gigs the reason why I did this because I am trying to reduce the stress on my hard drive and to keep the blasted thing quite..... do you think this was a good choice or do you have a better solution ?

Old 03-22-2006, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I dont have an XP machine infront of me so i'll have to be a bit vague.

There are several ways programs can get themselves to load on startup including the registry, win.ini ??, and the startup folder.

Using msinfo32 you can view most startup programs in software/startup programs.
I'm using NT4 here so I cant take a look at Msconfig for you but there are dozens on applications that allow you to control startup programs e.g. regcleaner, hijackthis, spybot etc... (at least from memory anyway). Or you could just edit the relevant files yourself.

I wouldn't recomend messing around too much, if you dont recognise a startup item you probably do need it.

Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 03-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually what I am trying to get windows xp to remember is 2 things, (normal start up) and (customized start up) if there was some program that could manage just those 2 options I would be very greatfull for that. also I know my way around msconfig long enough to know which programs need to run and others that don't need to run.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

leave the programs uncheck all of the time except for you A/V and firewall
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Closed Thread