Advance Windows Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
What is the full extent of a Windows repair? Does it just reinstall all the windows files and setup files? I've also seen it reinstall the registry so it's new and so that you have to reinstall your drivers.

Next, I have many old uninstall entries in the registry/computer. When I reinstalled my network card, it shows up as Network Adapter 2 and Local Area Connection 3. How can I clean out my registry of the other dead entries? E.g. what are some good registry cleaners?

Going along, what are some programs you use to keep Windows "fresh" since it slows itself down by design.

Thank you for you time. I really don't want to format every couple months just to keep my Windows O/S running smoothly. Formatting does work, everything does run more smoothly, and I can get all my things down in a weekend but it's really annoying.

What is the full extent of a Windows repair? Does it just reinstall all the windows files and setup files? I've also seen it reinstall the registry so it's new and so that you have to reinstall your drivers.

Next, I have many old uninstall entries in the registry/computer. When I reinstalled my network card, it shows up as Network Adapter 2 and Local Area Connection 3. How can I clean out my registry of the other dead entries? E.g. what are some good registry cleaners?

Going along, what are some programs you use to keep Windows "fresh" since it slows itself down by design.

Thank you for you time. I really don't want to format every couple months just to keep my Windows O/S running smoothly. Formatting does work, everything does run more smoothly, and I can get all my things down in a weekend but it's really annoying.
You already got most of your answer. A repair does not write over your registry. It just erases and then puts back teh Windows files. That is why we suggest a repair install so that the registry stays in tact and you dont have to do a reinstall of all your apps. Only when the registry is fully corrupt do you get it replaced.

CCleaner is you best option for a registry cleaner. Any others and you take some changes in registry corruption. But some others i have used are REgistry Mechanic and Registry Repair. Links:
Registry Mechanic - Registry Cleaner
Glary Utilities - Registry Repair

Read teh Sticky topic from EricB on how to keep it fresh. It is all explained in there. Other than that dont go around installing and un-installing 200-300 apps a week. That is what bogs you down. Only install what you need and what you know you will use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom