Administrator rights in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a passing thought: You should buy your younger brother a second hand PC so he'll stay off yours!

actually, that will do nothing for you.
You need to recrete the Administrative account for this PC! Deleting the Administrator folder from Documents and settings will do this, and that is it. If you copy an NTUSER.dat from another PC, you will make it worse.
Delete the folder. It will create it's self again when you login with it.
I promise.

BartPE is a free download and is very easy to use. Try that.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

You mean i shall delete the Administrator folder from document and settings folder.. and it will automatically create a new admin..

But then everyone can do this.. and it would be easy to crack in to XP then.. Won't SAM files come in to play in this all Story??

it's not the simple. The Admin account is a built in part of the OS. The SAM file contains the password information for the account. The Design of XP provides an ACL for the Admin account, so if the account becomes corrupt, you can delete it and then let it create a new one based on the informaiton housed in the Default user config and the SAM and the ACL for the account type.
does that make sense. Yes, anyone that has the rights to delete the admin folder can, but that doesn't really mean anything. you have to have the rights, and the access to the machine. NOt a security flaw, just a good way to allow for recovery. Now, you will loose all the data and files that this account had. You can also just rename the folder and that will do the same thing.

Not NEW admin, Same admin.

Trust me on this. I do this all the time at work. I'm very proficient with profile issues in XP, 2k and NT. It's something I have to do all the time in our environment.

Okk

I am doing this right a way tomm. morning..

and will let u know..

i guess i would go for renaming the folder...

thx a lot brother..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom