Administrator rights in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

real_in

In Runtime
Well Guys!!!

You gotta help me, i am in a deep trouble, some how my administrator got hung, like it was not logging me on to my System, so i booted my PC in safe mode, replaced the three files, ntuser.dat and something like thta with the profile i loggged in i got my system booted, but i lostallthe administrator rights,

How do i recover thta please help me!!

Please

real_in,

Try last known good config, or if it doesnt work, then restore your system from the safe mode.

Yaar i tried thta.. what u think kee i din try safe mode and all stuff, i did try them, but no use..

I have Lost Administrations rights on my XP

That was dumb, dude.

If you can, go into safe mode and recreate a user account with Administrator rights. Then you can do whatever you want. Create a new Administrator user, whatever.

When messing around with the users in Windows, you shouldn't ever need to go file-hunting for system files. There's a nice little user-accounts setup feature in Windows that does everything, and will help keep you from doing something dumb, like deleting the Administrator (which oddly, isn't usually possible).

You can access some of XP's settings with an XP disc. I don't know how but I read about it some time ago. (Win2k does not allow this)

Maybe you can do a google if there's a way to create an admin account that way :confused:

and try Shoobie's suggestion.

Simply put, here is what happened due to the above actions.

You replaced the Admins NTuser.dat with that of a user. The NTUSER.dat is the registry and ACL information for the account that that uses it. Doing what you did, was pretty stupid, but not dumb. You can fix it, but it's really not going to be worth the work. To really fix the problem, you will need to create another admin account. This should be possible even with the crippled account you now have. Once you do that, you will need to delete the DOcuments and settings directory for the Administrators account. This will force the account to be recreated when you log onto it next.
Windows is pretty smart that way, so unless you have another account named Administrator, you will be fine.
now, if you wanted, you could spend several hours fixing permissions and getting the admin account back to the admin level. This is very tedious and time consuming, but if you want, it's totally possible.

real_in,

Try last known good config, or if it doesnt work, then restore your system from the safe mode.

Just to let you know, Last known good is a useless tool of windows. It's designed to only function for device drivers and system configs. When looking in the registry, HKLM\SYSTEM\ there are several things here. CurrentControlset, Controlset001, Controlset002. Well, that is all that Last known good messes with. Problem is that once you see the XP banner, it's too late. XP and win2k take the currentcontrolset and write that out before they shutdown and so when the machine reboots, it's controlset001 is becomes the currentcontrolset, and then the last controlset001 becomes controlset002. This means that going to last known good, only works, if you know the machine with have a problem, cause once it's booted, you can't use it. Just wanted to clarify that for you...

wel guys!! read all the responses, the thing was My younger brother downloaded an application, from web which some how changes the login screen and stuff like that, so he applied some changes to administrator account... and when i rebooted the machine, it used get restart at the message applying your personal settings

so for this at first i booted in safe mode, uninstall the program and tried, there was no use, and even when i booted in safe mode with username administrator, it din have proper rights, i mean i was unable to even access the control Panel.. I donn know why??

Well then i tried editting some stuff, like wallpaper and all thru Regedit.exe, but nothing seemed to happen for me.. SO at last

Atlast I booted in command prompt, Replaced the ntuser.dat file with Administartor, which had restricted rights, now.. I happen to boot my account, but with restricted rights..SO this is the case...

Now Say where I am Dumb and Where I lagged, I have already spent 3 hours, doing this kinda stuff.. Even Replaced Logonui.exe and all files in "C:\windows\system32 " before replacing the ntuser.dat file..

Please Help me, I am unable to create ir edit user cause i am not able to open the Control Panel.. :(

Run this from the run dialog
nusrmgr.cpl

That is the usermanager Control panel applet. will that load?

edit, fixed a typo. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom