Adding Remote IP Printer to Print Server - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Adding Remote IP Printer to Print Server

Hello. So we're running a print server VM with Server 2012 in our environment. We have a remote office that has a static WAN IP address and I'm trying to figure out how to add a Konica printer to our print server. I tried adding it's static WAN IP address and submitting a test print job with no luck.. The server keeps saying printer is offline. I tried using LPR on port 9100 (which is port forwarded to the printer at the remote location) which still failed. I'm able to access the printers webpage from our internal print server, but can't get any print jobs through. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
The strange one

Default Re: Adding Remote IP Printer to Print Server

Do you have an ipsec tunnel to that remote office? If so, I wouldn't recommend using a local print server for the remote jobs if bandwidth is a concern. The print job will travel over the tunnel to your main sites print server then back to the printer on the network it just originated.

If you don't have a tunnel at all then I wouldn't recommend opening up the outside interface to those ports.

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Adding Remote IP Printer to Print Server

Noo don't open the printer port to the internet that'll end badly. VPN or IPSec would definitely be the way to go
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote