Added 2nd HD in XP-can't assign drive D

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodah12

Solid State Member
I added a second HD under XP. My first HD has a Fat 32 partition, but being that I'm going to do a lot of video editing I chose to make the new HD a NTFS partition. That wasn't the problem. When I added the drive under XP I went into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Mangement/Disk Management. First it offered how to partition it, I chose one partition, and it only offered a NTFS partition, which was fine with me. When I went to format, it offered to assign me a drive of the letter 'I' thru 'Z'. Now I have CD and DVD drives on D and E, F drive is a compact flash reader, and G and H are virtual drives. The only other option it gave me was to not assign the drive with a letter, which I chose, hoping it would make my new HD the
D drive, and move the other drives up a letter. After formatting, the new drive came up with no letter assigned, so for now I've chosen it as 'I'. I went to 'change drive letter' when right clicking on the drive, but it only offers me letters I-Z. Any help? Thanks

doodah12,

Since all your drive letters till H are user, the available drive letters are from 'I-Z'. So the disk managment only allows you to select the drive letter within that range.If you want to assign drive letter 'D' for the new HDD Partition, you have to change all your drive letter from D to H.

The sequence to change the drive letters to get C[1 HDD],D[2 HDD],EFGHI[FOR cd,dvd,virtual drives] is
change drive letters as follows,
H->I
G->H
F->G
E->F
D->E
New HDD partition->D

hope this helps!

Sign
Codes:)

You must first change you CD drive letter to Letter "I" , then the dirve letter D is available,you can change you new HDD drive letter to "D"

-Suker

intercodes said:
doodah12,

Since all your drive letters till H are user, the available drive letters are from 'I-Z'. So the disk managment only allows you to select the drive letter within that range.If you want to assign drive letter 'D' for the new HDD Partition, you have to change all your drive letter from D to H.

The sequence to change the drive letters to get C[1 HDD],D[2 HDD],EFGHI[FOR cd,dvd,virtual drives] is
change drive letters as follows,
H->I
G->H
F->G
E->F
D->E
New HDD partition->D

hope this helps!

Sign
Codes:)

Hi ! intercodes you are online now? HUH! I almost meet you every time!

Let's make friends!

I know how to move the HD's up, by going to Admin. Tools/Comp. Mngmt./Disk Mngmnt., but how do I move up, or change the CD and virtual drives?

if u wont to assign it the letter 'D'. u need to first change your CD drive to a different letter. (or what ever drive u said was 'D' at the moment)

Be careful when changing driveletters, especially if programs are installed on them. Use a tool like PowerQuest's DriveMapper. It searches all files and registry keys and assigns all old links to the new driveletter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom