Add/Remove programs list messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcDee

Baseband Member
My Add/Remove programs list is messed up. When I go to it, it does not display all of my installed programs, there only about half of them there (rough estimate) and out of the ones that are listed, only about 10% of them display the Change/Remove button. All my programs still work fine, both ones on the list and ones that aren't on the list. If I install a new program it adds itself to the list and the Change/Remove buttons display properly and the program works fine. This is on Windows XP Pro. Windows recently did an automatic scandisk on startup and I think the program list was fine before that and wasn't fine after that. The scandisk happened the next time I booted up Windows right after I used Slax 5.0.6 LiveCD, so I'm guessing it had something to do with that but I don't really know. Does anybody know what might have happened and is there any way to "refresh" the Add/Remove program list, or any other way to fix it. I have rebooted a couple times and opened and closed the program list so it is not just a one time thing.

Avast found an ISTBar thing that my AVG missed, and Spybot found a couple advertising things that my Ad-Aware missed, but nothing that fixed the problem. Here is HijackThis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:08:36 PM, on 12/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Keyboard-Desktop Software\DsiMmKbd.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Marc\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LabtecKB] C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Keyboard-Desktop Software\DsiMmKbd.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [strtas] lockx.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1134151311243
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

well not all programs will show up anyway. Some programs such as downloaded programs or really small programs and 3rd party programs will not always show up

Amd64Boy said:
well not all programs will show up anyway. Some programs such as downloaded programs or really small programs and 3rd party programs will not always show up

Thats true, but the file responsible for showing this list is probably currupted by a virus or trojan since he shouldn't see and blank areas or buttons missing.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [strtas] lockx.exe

You Are infected with the W32/Sdbot-ADD worm. Delete the Above entries and Run Anti virus software such as, AVG, Avast or stinger.

Then if you can run a repair from the OS disc.

I figured out that the registry key list here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Uninstall

which displays all my installed programs was not right, none of my programs were there except for ones I installed since I noticed the problem (Spybot, Avast). So they must have gotten deleted by something, that W32/sdbot-ADD worm I guess, which I deleted (thanks for spotting that for me). However it leaves me with the question of why did it happen now? Did the scandisk do something that made the worm delete those entries, and also why did the scandisk run in the first place? It seemed to run because I had just used Slax LiveCD but why would that cause it to run?

Hopefully if I do the XP repair it will restore the list of keys back, except that I can't find my XP disc right now, I got too much junk...

Basically, all that list does is provide a convenient link to uninstallers. If you look at the pattern of existing entires, it is possible to reconstruct the list manually. But, it might be easier just to take a journey through Program Files when you need to uninstall soemthing.

I found my Windows CD and did a repair. No luck, the list is still messed up. I thought about re-doing the list manually, then said screw it. :)

I guess the list doesn't really matter that much so unless anybody else has any other ideas I'll just live with it.

C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

check those two things...i think they're viruses...

click on start -> run -> msconfig -> click the startup tab and disable some items that seem weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom