Long story short;

Having a problem getting a software program to run "PC Tune-up"
getting a popup that says the activex file.... or something, is preventing the
program from running.

The actual file is located here;
c/windows/downloaded program files/E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7
properties say its an (Activex control)
and its status is damaged.

I researched this on line, this seems to be a common issue, and that the file can't be removed.
I heard evertything from ;
It has to do with java and/or flash player and to reinstall them,
which I did, did not help.

Others said, it had to do with IE, so I installed a new version, still no help.

These were done in an effort to remove this file....

Soooo, any idea on
1) what this file is, and assosciated with
2) is it necessary
3) how to fix/resolve this

I'm running Vista and IE, althogh my default browser is Firefox

The main problem with IE is that it's heavily integrated with the OS so any attempts to upgrade or reinstall it don't really do anything. You might be stuck with this control failing. The one thing you can try is a system restore though I doubt it would help at all. Reformatting is likely your only option to reset IE to it's original settings.

In the meantime, I would suggest using CCleaner. Completely free and the best "tune-up" utility available for Windows.

Aaaaah, for a one stop website, forum, product, software. tool.......
Seems like as soon as you start to research something online, its instant information overload and too
many choices and options.........
Sorry for my rant.
Where I was coming from, is that the person who recommended this product swore by it now you have another to recommed..... i.e. the overload.

Similar to spyware tools. Everything I have previously read said you need to run at least 2 or 3 in that no single one could fix everything, yet lately, what I'm hearing is that running 2-3 can cause problems.

So now I'm wondering if running 2 "tune up" programs could cause issues.....

In any case thanks for the tip.

p.s. my default browser is Firefox, the only reason I tried an update was because it was a suggestion
from someone else....

What do you expect? There is billions upon billions of programs created for computers available. We all have our personal choice. So we recommend what WE would use. If you dont want us to recommend a product that we use, dont ask us for help and solve it yourself.

That is going to be the best answer you will ever get. You came to us asking for help. We are telling you how WE would go about trying to fix it. Cause there is never any single answer to any PC question. EVER.

Understand now? Check the person's profile, check their join date, check their reputation out. Judge for yourself if the information they give is useful or not. Check out the websites and make a decision. We are not you and we can not have the simple straight forward answer you want. Cause there is no such thing when it comes to PC's. If you are expecting that, turn off the PC now. It doesnt happen. Everything varies. We are not on your PC. We dont know what software you run, what tweaks or modifications you have made, how much stress your hardware has been under for its lifetime, what websites you visit, what have you downloaded, what protection from infections you use, how often you scan for infections, how often you take preventative measures like check disk or defragment and so on. Every little detail comes into play.

You say your default browser is Firefox. That brings on a whole separate set of issues that can be brought up. Why are you getting ActiveX issues when that is ONLY in use with Internet Explorer and not Firefox? What extensions are you using? What version of the browser are you using? Are the extensions up to date? Are there any known issues with the extensions working together?

Are you starting to understand what it takes for someone to try and even start to diagnose what could possibly be wrong with another persons machine? These are just the things that I thought up while reading you post. Given more time i could easily come up with a question list that would put Wikipedia to shame.

You are the owner and operator of the machine. You have to make the right choices for you. We can only suggest stuff. We are not forcing you to do anything. Dont complain that all you see are advertisments cause everything will be that way cause that is all it can be. Windows can NOT do everything on its own and Microsoft does NOT make a tool that can fix all issues. Just the way it works. It is no different than if it was your car, house or anything else that is mechanical. Not even a lawnmower can be fixed by the same people that make it cause they outsource parts from other companies.

Now with that said. ActiveX is only IE based. You have tried installing a new version of IE. Have you tried resetting it? Have you tried doing check disk? Have you tried running the system file checker?

I do only use FF.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but the program in discussion was working fine.
Based on some other input I tried upgrading to a newer version of IE to help resolve the file situation I had mentioned. After that, upgrading IE then I started getting the activex errors.

p.s. as for my other topic I started I thought it was branch off of this topic and didn't want to get things confused....

So since this all started when you installed a newer version of IE, have you tried going back to the older version when things were working fine to see if that resolves your issue?

No I haven't, what is the best method ?

p.s. in IE under
under tools-> internet-> options-> security-> (internet) custom level

what are the best settings under the activex sections ?
disable/enable

Thanks

The best method is the only method that you can use. Open up Windows Update>View Update History>Click Installed Updates>Locate Internet Explorer version installed and remove it. Since IE9 is being forced out by Windows Update it will not show up on the Remove Programs page so this is the only way it can be removed. Cant have a better method than that.

As for the 2nd question. Read my post above. It is completely user preference! I can't stress that enough. What is good for me is not going to be good for you. I do not do the same things online that you do just as the next person doesnt. We cant answer a personal preference question for you. Leave it to what it is set at or default if you are not sure. Only advise that we can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom