active x control

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfinsurveyor

Solid State Member
I am attempting to update my daughters laptop which is running XP Home SP1 and I cannot access the Windows Update site which states that I need to Install Active X Control by right clicking on the Explorer Information bar which is not appearing. I am also getting a warning message that the security settings prohibit running Active X controls. I have checked the settings (Internet Options - Security) and as far as I can see Active X controls are enabled. I have attempted to install SP2 from a Windows SP2 disk and this also fails. And yes - it is a legal copy of Windows! Can anyone help?

click the link below for links to other pages

from http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/acxen.htm

I get an Active X error when attempting to use Windows Update.
1. Open Internet Explorer
Click Tools
Click Internet Options
Click Security tab
Click "Default Level" button
Click OK and follow prompts

2. Otherwise try:
WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update Web Site

3. If the above fail, try the Windows Update Checklist

Think I may have solved the problem - went on Microsoft site, looked up the error code and found that I needed to register some .dll files in the registry (about 8 in all) and now I can get on the update site. Presently downloading/installing SP2. After that I hope I will be able to get on the websites/logins that I couldn't before.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom