Active Directory Server - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Active Directory Server

Anyone here have an AD server running from their home? If so, do you use a static IP address? I had mine set to 161.63.236.10 but then I can't connect to anything like the net or other computers so I just set i to obtain an IP address automaticaly, now it works fine. What I'm trying to do is set this up identically to the one at work so I can test items using the new Server 2003 R2 tools. I've never set up an AD server before and so far everything is working just fine. This server is going to be an all in one as in FPS, ADS, PS, Email Server, etc since there wont be hardly anyone actually using it so I should be fine.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

I have setup several test labs using their own IP ranges, off our network. I'm working on getting a good server in place for my home, before I put up a domain.

As to the IP stuff, I always setup DHCP. I hate static Ip's cause then it's a mess if you have to change anything. Also, DHCP allows you to make the reservation to a mac address, so it's always the same anyway, but the software controls it, so you can change it from anywhere, with the right permissions.
If you want to setup a special IP for it, either have 2 nics, or a router to control access to it. You need a route for the machine to find it's self.
make sense?

Old 05-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Seems like a routing issue. Just curious Warez when it pulls the IP from the DHCP server what IP address does it pull? What exactly is involved here? Down from your ISP modem to routers to server..etc. I've setup quite a few AD structures from the ground up so hopefully I can be of some assistance to ya.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have a WIN2k3 Server setup as an AD DC. Here is my scheme:

router 10.x.x.1
server 10.x.x.2 (static)
DHCP scope 10.x.x.100 - 10.x.x.110

I am using Comcast for DNS so I had to add a static mapping in the hosts file to the server on all my PCs.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

did you set up a range for the ip address in the router config?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes. DHCP scope is set on the router and DNS is from the ISP. I thought about switching both to the server, but a route in the host file worked just as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had my scope range from 161.63.23.1 to 161.63.236.254

I'll have to wait to do anything til tonight cuz im at work now. I know Im on the domain so atleast the part works, it sas im connected to na.autoedir.com and my logon switched to ctrl alt delete.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

are you using a 255.255.0.0 mask? Also why so many hosts in your scope? I know it doesn't matter, but I usually keep it pretty simple for home use and limit the number of possible hosts.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Im trying to set it up exactly like mine here at work. I manage our ADS but I didnt set it up but in the event of something happening to it, I want to be able to disagnose the problem etc. Hopefully tonight I can get this working fully. Right now the IP addy its pulling is 192.168.1.106 and I want it set to 161.63.236.10. Yes IM using 255.255. as the mask.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Win2kpatcher
Seems like a routing issue. Just curious Warez when it pulls the IP from the DHCP server what IP address does it pull? What exactly is involved here? Down from your ISP modem to routers to server..etc. I've setup quite a few AD structures from the ground up so hopefully I can be of some assistance to ya.
so I would set the range in my router for this right?

Say like 161.63.236.10 to 161.63.236.223 ? in doing so, will it knock the rest of the computers off the network?